Thread: How do I connect my 2 big speakers to my computer

How do I connect my 2 big speakers to my computer

I hope this is the correct category for my question.

I want to get stereo audio CD to play over my 2 big analog speakers...bigger than the 2 tiny 3" ones I now have on either side of my monitor. These speakers are in cabinets that measure 12" x 18" x 8". Each on the back has two screws and a jack. The jack says it is 8 ohms. The screws are marked + and -. I assume I will need to go through an external amplifier (it's working well but is old; may even have tubes.)

I will describe controls as pictures of the amplifier back and front and my sound card jacks would exceeds attachment limits. So if they would be helpful, perhaps you could give me an email address for me to take digital snapshots and send them off.
    Controls are
    1. Power: OFF, System A, System B, A + B and 'spkr off.'
    2. Base, treble, balance, volume and selector. Selector has 3 settings: microphone, phono and aux.
    3. There is a high filter (on-off) and Low filter (on-off).
    4. Loudness (on-off).
    5. Mode: Stereo or Mono.
    6. There is a tape monitor socket with 5 thin, wiggly holes in it.
    7. There is a 1/4" jack for a microphone and the same for connecting earphones.
    8. There is a 2-position switch marked "tuner" with a thin white line going to the selector switch (see #2 above.)

In the back there are 8 "push-and-stick-wire-in" connects for the speakers. 1 group of 4 is marked A; the other group of 4 is B. I assume each group can be set up for 2 speakers each. The terminals are marked + or -. Also on the back there are 10 RCA jacks: 5 are left, 5 are right. They come as pairs. The jacks are Phono, aux, tuner, tape monitor. (The tape monitor has 2 jacks for record; 2 more for play--thus the 10 jacks.)

My sound card, Creative SB 1394 has the following jacks:
    1. A firewire connector jack.
    2. A jack for digital speakers.
    3. A Line in jack.
    4. A microphone jack.
    5. An earphone jack.
    6. A jack which the poop sheet says is intended to be used with the earphone jack for connecting to a physical interface that can let you connect up to 5 analog speakers.

All jacks are 1/8" but whether stereo or mono I can't say for sure without opening up the tower. (I will do that if necessary.)

OK. Is what I want to do practical? Is it doable?

Now if it is doable, how do I connect things up so I have stereo sound over 2 of my big speakers and are the connections leaving the sound card mono or stereo? And if these connections are stereo will they not have to be split into 2 as I have 4 of those "push-and-insert-wire" per each set of 2 speakers.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hi wumply,

It should work real good, the hard part is getting from the sound card to the Stereo Receiver, not really hard but you may need adapters. Can you tell me what brand and model number the receiver is ? that way I could tell you exactly what you need.

Basically your going to hook the speakers to the receiver on the "A" channel, right speaker to "R" + - and the same for left speaker "L" + -. Your going to use the line/lines out on the sound card but I need to know what the jacks on the receiver are (RCA,clips,screw..?) in order to tell you what you need. On the receiver you can use Line in, Phono, Tape, AUX which ever you want you'll just use the selector switch for what jack the PC is hooked to. If these jacks are RCA (should be) then you got it made and would only need a RCA mini to RCA adapter from sound card to receiver.
    Last edited by FastGame; May 16th, 2004 at 02:24 AM.

The receiver is an AU-505 stereo amplifier by Sansui Electric Company. The 5 sets of jacks on the receiver are RCA, (standard, not mini). You just push a standard RCA plug into them--no clips or screws.

Does this give you the info you need so you can tell me exactly what I need?

wumply

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Nice receiver, people collect those AU505 Sansui pic's

You can get two of These if your sound card has outputs to Right speaker and Left speaker. Plug the adapters in and use regular RCA audio cables that most stores have. Hook the RCA audio cables up the the AUX jacks Right/Left on the back of the Sansui.

If you want to use Line out on the sound card get This and hook up the RCA audio cables the same as above.

When you want to play the PC set selector switch on Sansui to AUX and jam away

You don't really need a strong signal so make sure the volume on the PC isn't truned up all the way...set it to about half way and let Sansui do the work.

Anyway you have an easy job, enjoy the tunes....

Thanks FastGame. Appears to be duck soup. It's 12:45 AM, May 16 where I am (NH) and bed is calling--I am tired. When I get an adaptor (I may even have one) I
    I'll let you know it how worked. Don't expect problems but the unit hasn't been used for 6-7 years...may have to be sure there's no oxidation of contacts etc.

Hey FastGame:

Got it connected. It's BEAUTIFUL.

wumply

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Very Nice Setup Wumply, Big Amps and Speakers have a very nice sound, and the dynamic range is amazing. I have been using Big Speakers for many years now, running 4.1 Makes games ultra realistic when the floor shakes

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    glad to hear you it it working
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by egghead
    glad to hear you it it working
    I bet his neighbors arent glad !!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---