Thread: after partitoning, it just hangs

Bronze Member

after partitoning, it just hangs

i am using a new laptop that has winxp home installed. after making a image of my entire hard drive, i reformatted my 60 gb hard drive which had 3 partitions.

after reformating installing some programs, i used partition magic v8 to make a new partition. it seemed okay. then i used 'true image' to restore a program/file. after doing that- i rebooted and then my system just hang.. with a flashing 'minus' sign on the upper left hand corner of the screen. i would try to reboot and nothing would happen.

i did this several times. i would reformat the entire program using the recovery disk that came with the computer.. each time i would try a different way to get access to that program. Acronis true image, in order to restore a backed up partition with its program/ files, it would make a 2nd partition. so i would use acronis 'true image' to make a new partition- active or logical ( i tried them both) and it would hang. i even tried a older version of true image and the computer still hangs.

the last time i did the restoring and using the older version of true image, i saw a message-- i did not remember it entirely, --- failed to boot ( or words like that).

so, i am able to use the computer and do everything but not make a second partition.

any good solutions?

Bronze Member
    Well after a long and arduous struggle.. it was a corrupted boot. With extreme difficulty and a slow learning curve - i learned a little more than i wanted to <lol>

i learned about the recovery console, i learned about the bug that affects the adm password and i learned about the MBR (Master Boot Record). and i learned i have (pick your terms) stupidity or it is perserverance or is it something else. regardless it now works.

so in conclusion- the mbr was corrupted and that was what is was all about.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    might want to stay away from any program that can corrupt your hd partition

this is very bad news
    ------------------------------------------------------------