Thread: The first American hybrid (38 mile per gallon SUV)

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Post The first American hybrid (38 mile per gallon SUV)

As we roared uphill on a twisty, two-lane road outside Los Angeles, Sheri Shapiro interrupted the conversation in Ford Motor's new Escape Hybrid sport utility to point out a series of mountain bikers. The bikers wore blue shirts with individual words printed on the backs, so that driving past them yielded a Burma Shave-style roadside advertisement: "Thanks-for-the-clean-air-Ford-Escape-Hybrid."

"Sorry. I wanted to make sure you noticed," said Shapiro, the Escape Hybrid's marketing manager. "I had to pay for those bikers."

America's first gas-electric hybrid for which print advertisements are already running elsewhere has earned a little publicity. The bikers, who were paid to be seen by automotive journalists on the hybrid's first test drive, addressed what may be the chief virtue of the new SUV, which will come out in the late summer: It produces less than 1 pound of smog-forming pollutants for every 15,000 miles you drive it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4999281/

Titanium Member
    I'm curious, what is your electric bill going to look like?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    At least it isn't as ugly as the "Element"...

Titanium Member
    I want it! I'm tired of my Suburban getting only 10-15mpg - but then, I do save on hotel costs by sleeping in it at times.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    THey hybrid system generates electricity every time you brake I think. So each time you stop, you recharge the batteries.

I rode in a hybrid taxi here in Japan. They are amazing, Extremely quiet, and the dashboard electronics are tiptop.. reminded me of Star Trek.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    THey hybrid system generates electricity every time you brake I think. So each time you stop, you recharge the batteries.

I rode in a hybrid taxi here in Japan. They are amazing, Extremely quiet, and the dashboard electronics are tiptop.. reminded me of Star Trek.

Didn't alot of stuff blow up on Star Trek?

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Titanium Member
    too bad it won't violate the second law of thermodynamics

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I think the Hybrid system uses the gasoline motor part to charge the batteries, as BB said, so you shouldnt have to 'plug' it in at nite, thus saving big dollars and creating less Pollution since the Nuke reactors dont have to generate more power

@lynch, what is the 2nd law? Do you mean about conservation of energy/momentum?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---