Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghost in machine

Titanium Member

Ghost in machine

Hello. I am unable to create partition in my pc (error 27 unable to lock drive) I looked it up at Symantec but I do not have that file listed. I think it's this voice that I hear everytime I enter windows (as soon as I log in) It says, "par....has loaded" How do I find out what this voice is and disable/delete it? Thanks.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    You hear a voice? (snicker snicker) really?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    mine talks to had to knock it out of her. lynch in the bios you can disable the voice post. but are you trying to create a partition on your c:\ drive. if so what software partition magic? because it should reboot and create it during the reboot.

Titanium Member
    yes, partition magic and i'm getting the error message on reboot from PM.

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    mine talks to had to knock it out of her. lynch in the bios you can disable the voice post. but are you trying to create a partition on your c:\ drive. if so what software partition magic? because it should reboot and create it during the reboot.
    come one Phishhead - I already said I went to Symantec (which owns Partition Magic) with error 27 (which I can only get on reboot)

Now more problems. My PC has no services running and the system restore points are all wiped out - how? I don't know. I know the standard response here already - "reformat"

to top this all off - &^$*-ing window is asking for product activation AGAIN!! *&^*&^-ing stupid sh*t

**edit** - sorry, just venting my frustration
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 18th, 2004 at 21:11 PM.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    not sure lynch but seems like its having problems changing the active partition I've never did this always played with a 2nd harddrives logical partitions. I usually leave the active partition alone.

Titanium Member
    I don't think I want to have a 120GB for my OS! My second drive is full.

Now this stupid F***ing sht is stuck (repair) on 13 minutes countdown

unregmp2.exe - the procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL
    *edit - update:
    After hitting "OK" 280 times repair finishes with a BSOD - can't even go into safe mode without a BS - this IS BS!
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 18th, 2004 at 22:25 PM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    STOP!! STOP!!

You're killin me...

I'm sorry, I know it isn't funny... I just can't help it " Stop the voices, the voices, the voi"... You're makin me cry dood...it hurts...

Send me the drive Buddy...I'll make it work.

Titanium Member
    You are right, it's not funny. I've got 40 hours of theme work that's is going to be completely lost if I can't get back in.

The voice thing is real. Something in windows is loaded during windows startup. I thought it was Eudora's voice emal thing but it's not - that is only for recording and sending voice email
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 18th, 2004 at 23:54 PM.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Lynch did you ever run memtest with your rig? So many errors sound like you could have memory problems.

Titanium Member
    yes

I'm sorry Conan, but I fail to see the relation between memory and "error 27 unable to lock drive"

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id2761.html
    The most common cause for these closely-related errors is that an installed program or file is preventing direct disk access.
    - which is why I think it's that voice being activated during start up
    Last edited by lynchknot; May 19th, 2004 at 00:50 AM.

Memory errors can cause a whole lot of problems including apps needing to be reactivated again.

Titanium Member
    Funny/stupid thing I was doing was with msconfig. I tried turning off start ups - but the voice was still there. Then I tried services and failed to exclude MS services and lost all restore dates - after that is when windows was asking for reactivation because or "significant changes"

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Sounds like gremlins from when you first driveCopied the old HD to the New HD... Perhaps you should just cut your loses, and reformat... as it sounds like your PC is YELLING out for it

@Rik, you are soo mean... LOL, laughing at a fellow brother with PC troubles

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    Sounds like gremlins from when you first driveCopied the old HD to the New HD... Perhaps you should just cut your loses, and reformat... as it sounds like your PC is YELLING out for it
    Yup, I agree with this assessment.