Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking to buy a ati9600

I'm looking to buy a ati9600

hey guys I'm looking to buy a ati 9600xt and an audigy2 ZS. was curious if any of you had these or had any opinions on them? and hell, I guess if you're looking to get rid of them or have a spare hit me up with a price... would rather my cash go to some great forum members instead of some large retail company.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I have both in one of my PC's

The ATI 9600xt is a good card. I think you would be much better off spending an extra $50 or so for the 9800pro. The 9800pro is more powerful and will last longer (performance wise) with newer games than the 9600XT. The 9800pro will crush the 9600XT in games!

I think you should wait a bit for the new cards to come out and you'll get a better deal on the 9800pro.

Question, do you play alot of games ? if not then you don't need a gaming card, it would be a waste of $$$ to surf around the Net & in Office with either card.

Audigy2 ZS ? hey what can I say other than go for it, you won't regret it.....

BTW as soon as the ATI 800XT comes out, my 9800pro moves over a box & the 9600XT becomes homeless..........
    Last edited by FastGame; May 21st, 2004 at 15:18 PM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    So FG, isn't that the new PCI express offering?

you know I was thinking about the 9800pro man, but I decided I just want a above average card for this new system I've built. then when I go ahead with the amd64 option next year I'll get the 800xt with the pci express board that I'll have with the setup.
    when is the 800xt due out on shelves. I'd like to help take that 9600 off your hands for a reasonable price if need be.

BTW - I'm going to be a rather heavy gamer. up until now I havn't had a system that could handle the applications. however I just ordered CoD, BF1942, U2k04, and a few other games that I got a deal on with these ie, tiger woods golf 04, roller coaster tycoon2 stuff like that. oh and also bought rise of nations.

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    So FG, isn't that the new PCI express offering?
    No and thats the problem, I really don't want to upgrade untill PCI-X and the new AMD 64 939pin cpu and boards come out.......what to do

@cardriver, the 9600XT will work fine at 1024x768 but the 9800pro is well worth the extra, even if you still want a card to hold ya till next year. I run all my games @1600x1200, everything turned on at highest settings & 2xAA/8xAF. Games like Painkiller and Far Cry bring my 9800pro to its knee's in certain spots (alot of spots ) 9600XT wouldn't stand a chance...........
    Quote Originally Posted by cardriver
    I'd like to help take that 9600 off your hands for a reasonable price if need be.
    Sorry cardriver, I don't sell my stuff, I give it away to TZ members but it goes in the TZ lottery so maybe you'll win or maybe whoever wins it will sell it to you and I will ban them from future lottery's

hmmm... well I'll look into the 9800 pro then... I guess your right whats another $50... definetly want my system to work flawlessly so thanks for the tips!!!

do you think they will make some sort of an adapter from agp to pci-x once the boards start to come out... maybe that's something I could take a stab at trying to design.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Ohhh... another FG lottery YAY Perhaps we need a by-law that states previous winners can't enter... I need all luck I can muster

Now, Cardriver, 9800Pro would be the Bee's Knees, and of particular good value since it has exceptional performance levels.

I dont think they will make adapters for PCIx to AGP, since PCIx has increased BAndwidth requirements, but importantly higher Voltage levels. I think it has an independent 5V line instead of PCI v2.2 3.3 volts. Your PCIx video card would have shocking performance running in AGP mode.

Sounds like you will be having several hours of Gaming ahead of you... Good Luck

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

O.K I think Fast_Games has you covered on this, I just thought I'd put in my two bobs worth due to the fact a few friends who own 9600 Radeons have had some serious application rendering hassles. So definatley go the 9800 if your'e going Radeon.

I'm currently running the NVDIA FX ULTRA 5600 and had nothing but joy - but an upgrade is definately imminent. It's cheap and works a treat, but if you have money or patients, follow Fastgames advice and sit it out.

Whatever card you get just make sure it is DirX .9 compliant
    Last edited by z3n; May 24th, 2004 at 08:05 AM.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Well to throw another stone in the pot, my cousin is considering upgrading Vidcard too, only mid-budget, but cant decide on Asus 9600XT-TVD 128mb or 128mb Sapphire 9800SE ?? Err... soft-mod may be looked into as well Let me know what you guys think.tx

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

IMHO I think everyone should wait a bit till the new cards come out, see what happens to the prices....

When it comes to ATI, I think anything that has SE after the name should be avoided.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    No complaints with my 9600XT!!! I LOVE it!

yeah I think that is now going to be my plan of purchase here... wait till 2 months after the new cards are oput and see where the prices settle...

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    No and thats the problem, I really don't want to upgrade untill PCI-X and the new AMD 64 939pin cpu and boards come out.......what to do

@cardriver, the 9600XT will work fine at 1024x768 but the 9800pro is well worth the extra, even if you still want a card to hold ya till next year. I run all my games @1600x1200, everything turned on at highest settings & 2xAA/8xAF. Games like Painkiller and Far Cry bring my 9800pro to its knee's in certain spots (alot of spots ) 9600XT wouldn't stand a chance...........

Sorry cardriver, I don't sell my stuff, I give it away to TZ members but it goes in the TZ lottery so maybe you'll win or maybe whoever wins it will sell it to you and I will ban them from future lottery's
    I thought the boards were out.I can get this Asus SK8 V 940 pin for $174
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by zipp51
    I thought the boards were out.I can get this Asus SK8 V 940 pin for $174
    Yep but in my post its the 939 pin not the 940 pin Athlon 64 FX, also no PCI-X yet. The 939 pin doesn't require registered ram like the 940 does

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Yep but in my post its the 939 pin not the 940 pin Athlon 64 FX, also no PCI-X yet. The 939 pin doesn't require registered ram like the 940 does

Thank FG,the specs don't mention that.I believe that would save a few bucks on ram.Is the higher price the only reason you would go with the 939?Right around $40 difference for 1GB is what I see out there.I've got my eye out for a 64bit system,but like I always do,I wait for the bargains and fall behind a bit on the "newer" additions.By the time Intel comes out with their answer to AMD64,the prices will be falling,I hope.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.