Thread: CPU temp

CPU temp

My CPU is a P4, 1.7 ghz using Socket 478. I never play games or have 3-4 apps running simultaneously. Today (all day) the ambient room temp has been 68F (20C). My CPU has been reading 32C (89.6 F)all day. I have the alarm set to go off at 35 C (95 F). Intel said 35 C was the temp they felt my CPU should not go above, though this may have been air temp. close to the CPU, not the actual CPU temp.

Could I get some pros and cons of my alarm setting?

wumply

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I think you can safely say that you can set it to I would guess atleast 60c.

Considering the way I use the computer (see initial post) why would I want to set the alarm at 60 C instead of leaving it at 35 C?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I think phishhead is right, sounds good I think Intel says the max safe temp for your CPU is 75c
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    Considering the way I use the computer (see initial post) why would I want to set the alarm at 60 C instead of leaving it at 35 C?
    Oh its kinda like your alarm clock going off at 3am when you don't need to get up till 6am, set you CPU to 60c and you can get more sleep
    Last edited by FastGame; May 24th, 2004 at 23:31 PM.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Here in my country the ambient temperature is around 30-37 C. I set my temp alarm to 55 C.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I like FG's analogy... so so true!

My alarm is set to 60C...most of the time I have my fan running at low speed. If my PC gets to 60C (which it does under heavy gaming esp. in hot weather), my fan speed increases to compensate.

I've got an Athlon XP 1800 so these higher temps are normal.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Us AMD guys got to remember that we can run hotter than the Intel folk. I don't know where Intel measures its die temp so I would go with what Conan says, seems pretty safe.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Us AMD guys got to remember that we can run hotter than the Intel folk. I don't know where Intel measures its die temp so I would go with what Conan says, seems pretty safe.
    I chose 55 C cause my Thermaltake case has got great airflow plus I'm using a Zalman CPU cooler which has pretty good performance. My other PC with a Lian Li case (not so great airflow) and using the stock Intel heat sink and fan gets up to 58 C. I think 60 C is a reasonable value for your alarm to sound. If Wumply's room temp is at 20 C I really don't think that his CPU will reach temps over 50 C.