Thread: Rolling Thunder

Rolling Thunder

(Filed: 25/05/2004)

Eurofighter delayed by landing gear problems

"The troubled Eurofighter project was hit by further difficulties yesterday after it emerged that an independent safety report said that its landing gear computer could fail with "catastrophic" results.

The project is already four years behind schedule and 600 million over budget and there is intense pressure to scrap some aircraft.

A leaked report said there were three "significant safety issues" with the 47 million aircraft, now renamed Typhoon, which should prevent its initial release to service. While two of these could be solved, the problems with the landing gear computer could not, said the report by Qinetiq, the private company that operates the MoD's flight test centre at Boscombe Down.

The MoD said that as a result of the Qinetiq report, Typhoon was modified."

------~~']><['~~------

Maybe they could commision TZ to rebuild the landing gear computer with old parts we have laying around here.

I may be wrong but I think there was a British spitfire plane called a Typhoon ? If so the re-naming of it may be just a ploy to entrust confidence as the spitfire was easily one of the nastiest things in the sky in it's day, or at least it carries the legendary status of being so.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Do you have an image of this aircraft? Or a rendering?

Yes - I believe this is one ( flying around until they fix the landing gear I assume )

NOTE: The Eurofighter 2000 on tail.

Why not add some patoon skids to the bottom and make it a water jet?

That thing looks real sweet, but I prefer the raptor:

http://kovy.free.fr/image%201024/f22-07_300.jpg

A shame they build such and expensive aircraft and have faulty landing gear computers???

-HOTDAMN - That is one sexy looking plane -

I'm pulling "G's" just looking at it

Is it just me or is ther no pilot in that plane?

At first I thought there was the reflection of the moon in the cockpit glass which I thought to be very cool. Until I realised that it was in fact just the pilots helmet. So Yeah I think there is someone flying that baby

That jet uses thrust vectoring to steer the plane in the direction you want to go. Little fins on the back of the engines rotate in a 360 degree pattern to use thrust as a means to sharply turn in the direction you want to go. Very wicked.

Here's the armament list:

Armament: Two AIM-9 Sidewinders; six AIM-120C Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAM); one 20mm Gatling gun; and two, 1,000-pound Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAM).

I believe it also employs some of the stealth capabilities of the B2 Stealth Bomber. Below is a site with more information on the stealth of this plane:

http://www.f22fighter.com/stealth.htm

I wouldn't mind going Mach 1.6.

Thanks for that article BB - what a fantastic read. It really puts the whole plane stealth theory into perspective.
    Interesting how the stealth capabilities and aerodynamics determine the planes shape. E.G Lots of little triangles...heeh.

Try to explain this concept craft

Dubbed the "flying Shark Tooth" Nasa puts yet another crazy plane into orbit.

That thing looks strange... I have seen the delta wing version of a similar craft in fact the whole plane/shuttle was the wing. Very amazing. Nasa comes up with all kinds of designs that never make it past the drawing phase..

I can't wait till humans can tour the moon and go out on space vacations for a week or two.

All we need are warp drives/artificial gravity, hull plating, shields, and perhaps a telephotonic transport system. "Scotty, two to beam up"

Yes there is something very primal about strapping a couple of tons of rocket fuel to your butt and lighting it.

I'm all for the stratosphere delivery system. Where a plane flies you up and then skims you into orbit.
    I guess that still doesn't solve any re-entry issues.
    But it would solve the whole astronauts underpants routine after take-off.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    This is a great little thread ... can we expand it to cover attack Helicopters... pls?

The Eurofighter and Raptor are both Magnificent JetPlanes. The Vector Engines make for some amazing acrobatics, would change the whole Dog-fight ideal...

Ashame all these new vehicles, ie. choppers, planes, tanks, ships etc get plagued by seemingly trivial faults... perhaps they use M$'s patch management idea?

Keep it coming guys.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

A video of the F22 Raptor going vertical almost immediately after taking flight. What a machine!