Thread: Problems with DLINK DWLG650 PC Card

Problems with DLINK DWLG650 PC Card

My first post here boys. Here's the deal. This customer has a dlink DWLG650 PC Card in his n800c business notebook. His device worked fine in win XP pro originally but he says since he thinks one of the Microsoft updates has affected his hardware. It nows shows up in device manager but has an exclamation point on the device and gives him "the device cannot start" Code 10.....he was pretty knowledgable and had tried updating and rolling back drivers..also tried dlink and windows drviers and even the origianl driver off of the cd he had for it...nothing chages the status...disabled everything in the startup...tried rom update..reset bios defaults and has all of the updates for his laptop...i saw some suggestions on some other forums about disabling the plug and play OS in the bios but he does not have that feature in his bios....it is on IRQ 11 and so is the video adapter on the same irq.....let me know if anyone has heard of this please!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    If you have access to another card, try it. If it works, then the PCMCIA slot is fine. If not, it could be a PCMCIA port issue, and that would require repair or motherboard replacement.

Other than that, try uninstalling the device. Then reboot. Then see if the new hardware wizard picks up the card.. if this has not yet been attempted.

Further, you could try using a generic driver from the list that windows generates. Just choose to update the driver manually from the wizard, then select network adapater and choose a Dlink driver.. I doubt it will work, but it is worth a shot.

Also, try restoring the PC back to the day before he installed the windows updates. If it works, it could be an update incompatibility, and in that case, I'd suggest skipping on that particular update(s).

Keep us informed and welcome to TZ!

The guy said he tried rolling back drivers and says he tried every one of them although i didn't have time to try them all while i was on the phone with him. We did try uninstalling and letting it redetect but it didn't help...one thing we didn't try was the system restore which i can't believe i forgot about but i can't recall trying that....that may have worked...ah well....the funny thing is other cards worked in the same slot, this dlink card worked in another exact n800c, and it had worked previosuly in this same unit....nice hour long call the other day