Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i am a newbee at this forum.... any forum for that matter

i am a newbee at this forum.... any forum for that matter

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    You're not kidding.

Well welcome to TZ. Have a look around, read the FAQs....

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

have been looking into microsoft alternatives lately... not that microsoft has not served me well so far but i just want to enquire about my options. have recently started using mozilla. its too early to comment about it yet. my current version linux is on download as i write this. buying and using agood orduct is not a bad thing, but i get a feeling that using microsoft products makes you very well trained to face hardships when trying anything new. i don't know if the interface of MS products is bery "user friendly" or that it is too familiar and trying anything new means getting out of my comfort zone. welll!1 any thoughts are very welcome

Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by petard
    You're not kidding.

Well welcome to TZ. Have a look around, read the FAQs....

well i am embaressed but in the haste of posting something i forgot to write anything in my first message body :-)
    i have joined this forum cuz i have been reading some stuff from here for the past couple of days... very interesting.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Welcome to Techzonez. Like petard said, Stick around, read the posts and FAQs and if you have a problem or question feel free to ask.

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilodon
    i have joined this forum cuz i have been reading some stuff from here for the past couple of days... very interesting.
    - oh-oh, now i'm embarrassed

Welcome to Techzonez!

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Welcome to TZ smilodon. Enjoy the heap fo MS alternatives out there and play with everything until you find something you like. I tried Firefox one day and now it's my browser of choice!

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    well if you like mozilla then you'll fit right in. But you should really try opera if you want a real browser.
    *whack lynch's bat to the kneecaps.*

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Mozilla, Opera, Firefox, Netscape, Ghostzilla, and a few others are great. They all have good points. I am sold on firefox but I have used all of the above.

If you want to really get out of MS's ship, and jump into a whole new realm, download the latest version of Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official. It is free, and just takes time to download.

I have installed it on two PCs without a hitch (I suggest installing all the options available especially the developmental packages). Though, depending on your hardware it may take time and a little effort to get it installed. Drivers are usually the downfall, thanks to wonderful companies that don't create Linux drivers for their products. It is a shame really, but you cannot fault Linux for that.

With Mandrake you get a several media players, audio players, a CD burner, FTP, Web servers, firewalls, K-Office or Open Office, about 50-60 games (some of them 3D like tux racer), scientific tools, the gimp (a photoshop-like application), and so on for free.

About the only thing I'd say you'd have trouble with is gaming in Linux. Though support through WineX ($15) is even making gaming a viable option.

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    *whack lynch's bat to the kneecaps.*
    Tonya Harding would love you as a neighbor - she lives in the area.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Again Welcome, and don't mind all the Fruitcakes around here...(LK, phish, boogs, SS). Just be careful around petard...no tellin what you might step in

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Again Welcome, and don't mind all the Fruitcakes around here...(LK, phish, boogs, SS). Just be careful around petard...no tellin what you might step in

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Welcome Smilodon, I'm new in this colourful hood also..

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Banned
    welcome... dont worry ppl here arent so mean around here

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Welcome to TZ smilodon.We are a happy and curious bunch here.Just normal tech inspired people.Err,you be the judge.Read or watch a movie on the TZ forum rules so that you can get familiar on posting do's and don't's.And remember the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.