Thread: Single mom overwhelmed by recording industry suit

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

Single mom overwhelmed by recording industry suit

Tammy Lafky has a computer at home but said she doesn't use it. "I don't know how," the 41-year-old woman said, somewhat sheepishly.But her 15-year-old daughter, Cassandra, does. And what Cassandra may have done, like millions of other teenagers and adults around the world, landed Lafky in legal hot water this week that could cost her thousands of dollars.

Lafky, a sugar mill worker and single mother in Bird Island, a farming community 90 miles west of St. Paul, became the first Minnesotan sued by name by the recording industry this week for allegedly downloading copyrighted music illegally.The lawsuit has stunned Lafky, who earns $12 an hour and faces penalties that top $500,000. She says she can't even afford an offer by the record companies to settle the case for $4,000.

The ongoing music downloading war is being fought on one side by a $12 billion music industry that says it is steadily losing sales to online file sharing. On the other side, untold millions of people many of them too young to drive who have been downloading free music off file-sharing sites with odd names like Kazaa and Grokster and who are accusing the music industry of price gouging and strong-arm tactics.

Lafky says she doesn't download free music. Her daughter did last year when she was 14, but neither of them knew it was illegal because all of Cassandra's friends at school were doing it."She says she can't believe she's the only one being sued," Lafky said. "She told me, 'I can't be the only one. Everybody else does it.' "

A record company attorney from Los Angeles contacted Lafky about a week ago, telling Lafky she could owe up to $540,000, but the companies would settle for $4,000."I told her I don't have the money," Lafky said. "She told me to go talk to a lawyer and I told her I don't have no money to talk to a lawyer."

Full Story: Silicon Valley

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    As sad as this situation is, Someone is going to have to take responsibility. I speak to people daily that buy computers solely for the purpose of d/ling music and copying DVDs. Whats funny to me is the fact that they don't think twice about doing this, but I'll bet that none would walk into a store and walk out with a Music cd or DVD movie without paying. And essentially these 2 things are the same. Regardless of opinions of whether it should be legal or not, at this time it's illegal. Either people don't understand that "Nothing is Free" or they just don't care. But when you play, you always take a chance that you'll have to pay...

Titanium Member
    Didn't we all pay some kind of tax on all recording instuments - since cassettes? They say it's ok to record from the radio because it's "lower quality"

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    Didn't we all pay some kind of tax on all recording instuments - since cassettes? They say it's ok to record from the radio because it's "lower quality"
    Haha...actually I've heard that you cant. I've also heard that you're not *supposed* to record TV shows either...

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    I think you have to ask for expressed written permission.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Why can't downloading songs, movies, and other content be legal? I'll tell you why, because the RIAA and MPAA are greedy. Instead of adding a small fee to everyone's internet bill for the purpose of downloading content like this (which might make them more money in the longrun) they'd rather price gouge the customer and line their coffers now.

If car prices were 2 million dollars per car, you'd honestly tell me you'd save up your money to buy one? I highly doubt it. You could walk to work, oh say 50 miles per day round trip on average.

When the prices go up beyond what people are willing to pay, then things like piracy, bootlegging, and P2P are bound to exist.

And then you got the case of the "protected" CD. The one where you put it in your PC to play, it won't play at best, at worst it screws up your computer.

ANd you can't copy that wonderful CD that you purchased, cause that is not legal either. They want to limit this and that, and in doing so it is pushing customers farther away from the "legal" approach.

I'll tell you this, I support P2P 120%. I think it is a fair way to balance prices, promote better music and get the word out on artists. Musicians who say that this cuts into their "bread and butter" are stoned. Most musicians get paid next to nothing from record sales... most make their hard earned from concerts, merchandise and so on.

The RIAA is who makes the money from CD sales.. and don't be fooled.. when they say sales are down, that doesn't mean they are not making a profit... that means instead of 5 Billion dollars profit this year, they only made 3 billion.... To me, that is the definition of greed.

mmm

The RIAA and MPAA are not just greedy, they are evil. They also would appear to have our lawmakers in their pocket. They have the power and are going to use it.l
    Linux Mint Debian Edition