Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP Help Needed

XP Help Needed

Im not a Computer Guru so ill do my best to explain my problem...

Ok ive been using WinME for that last 3years but yesterday I decided I wanted to try XP. So I went got it then come home and try to install it (its the XP upgrade). I have my first problem when I put the cd in my D-Drive (a CD-DVD player). It makes exlporer not respond (freeze up and I have to restart the computer) So then i put the cd in my E-Drive an CDRW and it runs fine. The menu pops up and says 1) Install XP 2)Preform addional task 3)Check sys compatibilty

So I did number 3 and it says...
    Software that doesn't support XP
    ºNVIDIA nView Desktop Manager

So I go ahead and then do number 1 (Install XP) So it starts and goes all the way thru and does its first reboot. This is where the problem is. The computer starts up and goes to the new load screen (All black says WinXP in middle and has a bar underneath it to show its loading.) But all of a sudden the whole screen goes black and then does nothing (like the computers frozzen) I though maybe its normall and like it sit like that for 5 hours hoping somthing would happen. Nothing did so I restarted. XP goes to the same loading screen then the computer goes black.

Things I've also tired:
    - reformat, install ME and then XP
    - reformated installed Win95, Upgrade to Win98 then install XP
    - reformated installed 98, downloaded all the Win98 critical updates then install XP

This is starting to make me very angry... If anyone know what I could do please respond ASAP.

Sounds like there's a problem with the CD your trying to use, I would have to say, try and get hold of WinXP including SP1 and then do a fresh install of XP without the other OS's being installed first.

The problem could also be with your HDD, try downloading any diagnostic apps for your make of drive. Try also cleaning the lens of your CDROM if you've had it a while it could be unclean and cause some files not to be read properly. Check your memory had no errors, Microsoft has a memory checker you can download, just do a search on the MS website, it's the only version of the app so shouldn't be too hard to find.

Also you may want to make sure there's not too much dust inside your computer, can always make things either over heat or just simply currupt.

Coffee.
    Live long and prosper!

Like I said its an upgrade version, So I can't install it without having an OS on the harddrive. It always goes to that one XP loading screen and then just goes blank. And I have tryed cleaning the disk.

Since you have reformated twice, you are not trying to save your data. That makes it easier.

My recommendation is that you perform a clean install of XP. Yes it can be done with the upgrade. Also format the drive ntfs. Change bios setting to made CDROM the first boot drive. Then restart machine and follow on screen instructions.

Here is a good step-by-step.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

What is ntfs and how do I format it?

NT File System (NTFS). It is one of the options that you will see during the clean install.

I am having a problem with it booted the CD. I out the bios to read the CD first and it when I start the computer it says: Boot from ATAPI CD-Rom: Failure...

So I though maybe if I put up the startup disk in i can get it like this.
    A:d:setup
    But then it tells me I can't run that program is dos mode.

Read the step-by-step instructions in above post. It covers that problem.

Ok I tried the disk method from the step by step(Since my CD-Rom isn't bootable) and when I get to the 2nd disk I put it in and then it says...

File \ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded
    The error code is 7
    Setup cannot continue Press any key to exit

Err this is not cool...

Ok So I tried another method found in the Step-by-Step...
    I am doing the "New Installation(Advanced)"

So it goes to the blue screen and alot of thing happen at the bottom (of like things that are getting installed) And then it stops and says Starting Windows... and that is when it freezes..

Please someone must be able to help

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Sounds like you may have an issue with ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface).

Try the solution here Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 812580

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

So I tried what your article says to do (Press F7 to bypass yada-yada) But my computer still hangs at the "Starting Windows" part. I belive XP hadnt even started installing yet, because all it does it say Loading (Insert 50 different things here)... Then Stops at Starting Windows.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I have a suspicion that the XP disk you are using is corrupted or has some damaged/missing files. That or this is a hardware issue.

http://www.techzonez.com/modules.php...ion=show&id=15

We have a guide that shows step by step with screenshots how to install this. If you follow that guide and it still fails, well, I'd say to A) return your XP disk and get a replacement or B) check your hardware (some computers, Sony, Compaq, HP, require a BIOS update before XP will work.)

What kind of PC are you installing this on? Is it a home build or an OEM? Also what components are installed? This could also be a driver hanging that is preventing the OS from booting.

You might want to remove any and all unnecessary hardware for the time being, install the OS. Then replace the hardware piece by piece.

For example, if you have onboard graphics (graphics built on the motherboard), and a graphics card installed in either an AGP or PCI slot, remove the AGP/PCI graphics card, same thing with sound, TV out, USB/FIREWIRE PCI, or any cards in those slots.

Then try installing XP. If it works. ONce in the Operating system, you can then shut the PC down, ground yourself, and add 1 card. Restart. Then install the driver for that card step by step.

If you find that when you put a card in and the PC won't boot, then you've narrowed down the culprit.

Keep at it!

------------------------------------------

One other thing, so when you see the XP starting page, and it hangs, have you tried rebooting directly after the hang, but as it boots tap F8 repeatedly. that should get you into the safemode prompt. Choose to boot to safemode. IF that hangs, you'll see the line where it hangs. Take note of that.

Write down the line where it hangs (if applicable), and then post it here. IF it doesn't hang in safemode, well, then you can be assured it is most probable that it is a driver hang causing the startup issue.

If ME were still installed I'd tell you to use the XP hardware check to see if the hardware in your PC will cause you some issues.

You just pop in the XP cd, click check system compatibility, then click check my system automatically, then next, next, and you'll get a page that will show either no system incompatibilities or system incompatibilities.

That may help troubleshoot the hardware problem, if any.
    Last edited by Big Booger; May 30th, 2004 at 01:28 AM.

Ok I am currently reading that guide... My comp is between step 2 and 3, well the end of 2. That is where my comp hangs (Says Starting Windows)... But I will continue reading the guide

Booger Me and my dad built this comp like 3 years ago (So home built) But I am thinking maybe it is the BIOS? My BIOS is "Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG" any info on how to update it so I can install XP.