Thread: Request Help looking for Terminals

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Request Help looking for Terminals

I am looking for some terminals but I am not having luck. I was thinking maybe you guys had this dilemma before and could give me some recomendations. I know it is kind of specific, but well, diversity is great
    The terminals are/should be like a Monitor, with a RJ45, Serial, parallel (optional) and keyboard connection (mouse is optional).
    The idea is to run an X extension from the server.
    Ideas?

Is this for personal or business use?

Look BB - another post with Serial mentioned.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

bussiness use. We will be using at least 10.
    Is to put outside (I work at a port) in the warehouses for the checkers to be able to print the order details. The reason to use terminals are that we can restrict a lot what it can be done. These "terminals" will be inside kiosk (cabinets) for protection from weather and sudden dissapear We already have computers there but wanted to reaplce them with this concept.
    The other option we thought about was to use Internet PCs, but those have HDD. We just wanted to reduce the hardware, because less hardware, less problem
    HDD are mechanical, and as such as dust sensitive and there is lots of dust there

I bet the Lindows machines would work well.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

See if the BIOS in the PCs in place will allow booting from a network. If they do then most of your problems is solved IMHO. You should be able to take out the hard drives and go to the network server to boot. You can also boot from the 3.5 floppy or if the BIOS allows boot from a
    Compact Flash card with NT or some OS with a small size in megabit to fit the card. Once it is up and running you apps should come from the server..

Sounds to me like it might work...

That is interestign Tinker. Boot from network. Is what the terminal actually does. That gave me the idea, why not booting from CD-ROM?
    We could compile a Debian version that will only run the X enviroment with the epplication that we need