Thread: Do anti-virus programs block viruses?

Do anti-virus programs block viruses?

Or do they just detect and delete them? Which ones block viruses? I have

AVG and Kaspersky AV [I do not have the updates on Kaspersky]. They just

tell me I have one. After I delete One my computer slows to a halt. I have to

reboot. I have difficulty turning off my PC, it freezes. My sisters laptop has

McKafee. McKafee held one until I got off the webpage. Thanks.
    Last edited by veronica; May 30th, 2004 at 11:35 AM.

I haven't heard of that no, although I know many have a Resident Program that will tell you if you're opening or downloading a virus and stop it then. AVG is not very good in my experience, and since you're using AVG and Kaspersky on the same computer this may also cause conflicts (hence the freezing). If you want a free Anti virus check out www.avast.com (Avast!).
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Staind
    I haven't heard of that no, although I know many have a Resident Program that will tell you if you're opening or downloading a virus and stop it then. AVG is not very good in my experience, and since you're using AVG and Kaspersky on the same computer this may also cause conflicts (hence the freezing). If you want a free Anti virus check out www.avast.com (Avast!).
    I have been running AVG for almost two years without any problems. Your antivirus needs to be set up to your needs and updated weekly. Staind is correct about running more than one application. You should turn off Kaspersky and run AVG as a stand alone, then either have it scan at boot or at shut down or set a time if you leave your puter on all the time. Look at the AVG control panel for your configuration options.

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    Do anti-virus programs block viruses? Or do they just detect and delete them?
    I'm not sure but NAV sort of blocks viruses. For example, if you open a folder containing a virus or infected file, NAV warns you that there's a virus so that you don't open it.

Quote Originally Posted by hotmale
    I'm not sure but NAV sort of blocks viruses. For example, if you open a folder containing a virus or infected file, NAV warns you that there's a virus so that you don't open it.
    Thank you all for your replies.

Best regards,
    Veronica

Titanium Member
    A reply post from one of my threads in another forum from someone pretty well known. I was a member of one of his forums but bumped into him at this one.
    Not to get off topic but I ignore what so called "antivirus comparison tests" and what other sites say about AVG. I have used every AV app there is and AVG finds just as much or more than any other along with being the most trouble free and uses minimal resources. It is based on my first hand experience with removing viruses and spyware/malware from clients computers that other AV apps say are clean, I see it every day. Every single client I have switched to AVG (FREE or Pro) has not been infected with a single virus.Personally I would use AVG, I don't trust anything else - mnosteele

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    Thank you all for your replies.
    No problem