Thread: Radeon 9800 Power Problem (Dell System)

Radeon 9800 Power Problem (Dell System)

I have this recurring problem with my 9800. Everytime I start up, a message in a red box says that I have not connected the power to the video card when it is already in. So I open the case to remove the cable and reinsert it. Then I start it up but it works fine. But when the system is restarted, the problem comes again. Finally it refuses to start even after much retrying of reconnecting the cable. So I call up the Dimension Service in my area. The problem was that one of the pins on the cable was larger than the rest. This was then self-fixed over the phone. Now the system will start without this problem recurring. But the thing is, now the problem still arises occasionally. Like about 2 in 5 startups. This is very irritating as I have to keep on unplugging everything and reseating the cable. I am now sure is this is a problem with the card or the cable itself or the inability of the power supply to supply enough power to the video card because the power seems to be shared with the HD. The whole cable goes like this, from power supply to HD, then from the HD, to a plug for 2nd HD has instead a Y splitter to one long one for the video card and a shorter one for the 2nd HD, but there is no second HD. If it was a problem with the cable, I would gladly use the shorter one but its too short to reach the video card. The pin size problem seems not to be the cause anymore because its been fixed and still looks identical to the other pins. I appreciate any help possible. Thanks.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    You shouldn't have the 9800 sharing power with the HD's, I would use its own separate power cable or put it on with the CD-Rom thats not starting up when you boot.

What size power supply is in your PC ?

This is a Dell computer so they were the ones who configured it this way. I think I know where you're getting to, both the HD and video use power on startup and from what I have learnt, HDs need a surge of power to spin up the platter's right? And such a powerful video card also needs power of about 300W I think. If this is the case, then it would be impossible to use a power eating 350W Radeon X800.

Anyway, the power supply is as follows:

DC power supply:

Wattage
    250 W or 305 W

Heat dissipation
    853 BTU (fully-loaded computer without monitor)

Voltage (see the safety instructions in your Owner's Manual for important voltage setting information)
    90 to 135 V at 50/60 Hz;
    180 to 265 V at 50/60 Hz;
    100 V at 50/60 Hz for Japanese computers

This I got off from my PC's technical sepcifications from the Dell support site using my service tag.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Josh, you've been using that card for quite a while without any problems until recently right?

Yup. That's right. Its been almost a year. My computer with the video card and all will turn 1 on the 20th of June.
    ~Chesterfield

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joshsiao
    Yup. That's right. Its been almost a year. My computer with the video card and all will turn 1 on the 20th of June.
    Maybe it would be good to bring the PC to a Dell service center to check the power supply connections, if they find something wrong with the power supply then it would still be under warranty.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Get to your Dell service center asap....you might want to extend that warranty if it runs out in June...you can do that over the phone. Keep in mind
    that in order for Dell to stay competitive in the market place they must use real cheap components.....Your other option would be to take the money that they would charge you for that warranty and build your own. You can gut the dell like I did....ssshhhhhh.....lol....and end up with a better system.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Actually, if I am not mistaken, the power connection should run to the card first...then pigtale off to another device. That's how mine is installed. I have it running to the secondary HD from the card, not to my boot HD.

Quote Originally Posted by PIPER
    Get to your Dell service center asap....you might want to extend that warranty if it runs out in June...you can do that over the phone. Keep in mind
    that in order for Dell to stay competitive in the market place they must use real cheap components.....Your other option would be to take the money that they would charge you for that warranty and build your own. You can gut the dell like I did....ssshhhhhh.....lol....and end up with a better system.
    If this is so, then Dell is a scam. Anyway, my warranty is 3 years so I'll call them up when this happens again. As I said, the problem arises 2 in 5 boots so it may not happen again. But thanks for all your help. I'll post if there's anymore problems.
    ~Chesterfield

Oh, then that may be the reason why Dell won't open a factory in S'pore. The comps are made in Malaysia where things are usually know to be cheap and sometimes unreliable. Well, at least their service IS reliable.
    ~Chesterfield

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    If this is so, then Dell is a scam. Anyway, my warranty is 3 years so I'll call them up when this happens again. As I said, the problem arises 2 in 5 boots so it may not happen again. But thanks for all your help. I'll post if there's anymore problems.

ok. Dell is an OEM vendor like all the others. In order to compete in the global market, and keep prices competetive to the consumer, they do have to keep their internal costs down. To do that many things are done and considered, but they aren't in any way a scam. IMHO

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PIPER
    Your other option would be to take the money that they would charge you for that warranty and build your own. You can gut the dell like I did....ssshhhhhh.....lol....and end up with a better system.
    Thats what I did to my Cousin's computer... makes a very zippy computer now and Dell box as 1001 uses... currently a planter box for some homegrown tomatoes

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---