Thread: Why do I keep restarting???????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Angry Why do I keep restarting???????

Right in the middle of something, I restart!!!!!

Read about it, something about minidump.

Microsoft said it was Iomega first, then Microsoft said it was Nvidia. Patched and updated both. Utility and Nforce as well on board.

Now I uncheck the "start automatically" in system recovery and now it gives me blue screen and stop error.

Shall I write this stop error or do you all know what this problem with "minidump" is??

Finding it hard to believe that after all this time of having the same iomega zip installed and the same nvidia card installed for all these months and now its restarting? As I mentioned, updated and patched both!

Any ideas?

TIA,
    Sharon

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmputrskillme
    Right in the middle of something, I restart!!!!!

Now I uncheck the "start automatically" in system recovery and now it gives me blue screen and stop error.

Shall I write this stop error or do you all know what this problem with "minidump" is??

TIA,
    Sharon
    when you get the blue screen there should be info about what the error is

we can use this to see what the stop reason is
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Have you patched your Computer with the MS04-011 and MS04-012 patches... they relate to RPC and LSASS flaws, ie blaster and Sasser... these virus cause your system to crash and restart all the time...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Where do I get said patches? I think I'm protected, well at least I thought I was.

Well here goes the error.........

Stop 0x0000008E (0xC000000S, 0xF5E3021C, 0xF17D0A64, 0x00000000

Symevent.Sys address F5E3021C base at F5E25000, Datestamp 3F31AC37

Now I think I got all those numbers and letters correct. Thanks so much for your help!

Sharon

Downloaded and installed those two patches in the meantime........thanks!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Do you have Norton AV installed on this computer? If so try updating the symevent files:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/fil...t/symevnt.html

Symevent files are automaticlly installed by running sevinst.exe for Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/2000/XP/2003 (32-Bit) only. The current version of the Symevnt installer (sevinst.exe) is 11.3.0.22. The installed files are version 11.3.0.17.

If that doesn't work, uninstall the AV and find an alternative.

Hey thanks BB, used the link and did it!

Can you explain what these files are and why the heck don't they just come with updates if they are an issue? I've tried AVG, and don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it "completely", however, I felt kinda "naked" with only AVG running.

Thanks,
    Sharon

I'm still restarting/crashing with different blue screen errors........

I updated the Nvidia Card, uninstalled the Iomega stuff, I'm stumped!

Sharon

I spent some time reading about this problem. There were two main issues identified by others. One was the need for a bios update. The second involved installation of a new nVidia graphics card. I found a couple of posts where their problem was fixed with a clean install of XP.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Sharon,

What is the blue screen error this time? Just keep at it. Eventually you'll get to the root issue.

And efc's advice is sound.

Well, I've already done a bios update, and as far as the Nvidia card, I did update the drivers. I may have to call the distributor and order another. Don't want to, this one does just what I want it to do. Incidentally, this is an MSI board with Nforce2.

I've gotten several other things as well. When doing the "click here" thing, it took me to Iomega for an update, (I've uninstalled that software as I don't use the zip anymore)
    then it took me to symantec and said that "this problem was fixed with the latest updates"........well I've had the latest updates for several days now. It also said on another occasion that it was a graphics problem as well. These are all coming from the error reporting "click here" links.

Thanks so much for reading up on this for me efc, I will post the next stop error (lets hope I don't get another!) and see where that takes me. I will call my distributor today and see what he's got.

Next problem..........do you have any suggestions? So far I've liked my Ti4800. I can watch movies, videos etc on my 37 inch. This is the most important thing to me as I am not much of a gamer. Having good quality picture transferred to TV is my main concern. If you all have any ideas on what I should consider, please share!

Thanks again!
    Sharon