Thread: incredifind, now problems

Gold Member

incredifind, now problems

I have cable internet service. It comes into the cable modem and then to a Linksys router. Then there are two lines out-one to My computer which is OK, the second line from the router goes to my wife's computer that is running Windows 98. When I first started up her computer, right after the icons loaded on the desktop, I got the following message "UNABLE TO ESTABLISH A SOCKET FOR TCP PORT 110 USED BY INTERNET MAIL Scan TO LISTEN FOR INCOMMING CONNECTION REQUESTS. INTERNET MAIL SCAN IS NOT AVAILABLE" I then clicked OK, and then tried to connect to the internet (my ISP home page) It kept trying to connect to "INCREDIFIND" , which I found out was a browerser hijack.
    I followed the directions to remove "Incredifind" and I believe it is now gone, since it no longer tries to connect to it. I then ran Adaware that found about 16 items, some registry items and other files. I removed all items. I then ran a virus scan, it found nothing. The virus program (Pc-Cillin was last updated about two weeks ago, and Adaware was maybe two weeks old also.) I still can not connect to the internet. I called my ISP and he had me check all settings which seem OK. He thought that it was maybe the ROUTER itself, or something was corrupted on the computer. I tried reconfigering the router, but no change. I even used a different port on the back of the router, no change. I then tried starting the computer with NO cable connections to the router. I still get the above message about TCP port 110. Why would the computer be trying to even connect to the internet if there was no cable attached anymore ? All help and suggestions are appreciated !! I also ran SFC to check for missing or altered files, and it found nothing.

Gold Member
    I got it. I also noticed that there was a startup item called new.net or new-dot. Searching at Packman's portal, I found it. Seems like I had a corrupted Winsock stack. Anyway, there was a small download file called LSP-FIX. I downloaded the file, and all is well.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Glad to hear you got it all fixed Mike, you sound clued in to this stuff... Good work, and thanks for the info on how to fix it.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---