Thread: Looking for a note program with read-only possibilities

Looking for a note program with read-only possibilities

I'm looking for a note program with the possibility to make the data read-only.
    I've got sheets with info I'd like to share with my colleques, I have to change data on a regular base, so I have to be in charge of the data.
    They only have to look at the data to get informed and use it as a reminder so that they don't have to remember.

Now I use TreeDBNotes, looks very good, nice icons, but every time they close it it saves all the data again. Although they don't say they change data the'll do. Over and over again I have to change it again.

Someone an idea about a good freeware program ?

Thnx,
    PJA

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Couldn't you just right click the tree note file in windows explorer and select properties, then check the box Read Only?

It may work.

Nope doesn't work the reaction of the program is that it thinks's that the file is allready in use by an other program.. grrr

PJA

Maybe this would work. Use Open Office (open source office suite) to build the data. Export the file as a .pdf. Your team member could read the data using Adobe Reader and they could not change it. You would have the file as a .doc (or other common output format) and a .pdf.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Great suggestion efc. I never even thought of that.

Another solution:

http://www.wjjsoft.com/download.html

Mybase.

Password-Protection

Mybase offers 4 modes that may protect your important data: 1. Database-Access-Protection, 2. Branch-Access-Protection, 3. Database-ReadOnly-Locking and 4. Minimized-Window-Protection.
    Full List of Mybase Features

It will cost you $39 for the full program per license:

http://www.wjjsoft.com/buynow.html

Actually if you paste to word there are protection features that prevent a user from changing your data by password protecting it. Good especially for long excel lists. Also good for forms. The protection feature in Word 2003 is much better as it gives more selection on how to protect your data. I'd link the Word 2003 protection help page but the thing is, the webpage is supposed to detect if you have Office 2003 first. If you don't, it won't load.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Could make two discs. A master for you and one for your colleagues. Be some fun comparing the two when you get them back and not let on you know their messing with your data.

Same principle if this over a network. I'm just guessing your a biology student and these guys are sabotaging your work?