Thread: having a large issue with xp office small business

having a large issue with xp office small business

I have been having a problem updating and for that matter unistalling my office xp small business program I try to do an automatic update it gets to around 40% then I recieve this message

Error! Unable to check for updates on this computer Help

The Office Update site is unable to check for updates on this computer. This may be happening because of one of the following reasons:

You do not have administrative privileges for this computer.
    There is a network problem and the detection catalog used by the Office Update site failed to download. Go back to the Downloads home page and try running detection again.
    Windows Installer patch files (.MSP files) from previously applied Office updates are missing from the \Windows\Installer hidden directory on your computer. MSP files are stored on your computer after update installation completes because they need to be referenced for future update operations. If the files are missing you will not be able to apply Office updates. You may also be unable to uninstall Office products as a result of the same problem. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for assistance.
    You installed Office updates in the past and then upgraded from Windows Installer version 1.0 to Windows Installer version 1.1. For more information see the KB article Windows Installer May Prompt for Install Source if Unavailable.

this program came in a package deal from Dell I have tried pretty much everything execpt for foramtting I am at a loss of what else to do and I am not sure how long it has been like this because I never really updateid it that often I just wanted to remove a program off office but it would work so I went to update and well it didn't work either.
    I can download any files but I cannot install them I also tryed t odo the email thing to micro soft but when it tried to detect my program wasn't detected . well I hope you people have some clues or help for me . I am not a total noob at this but there is allot that I don't know . so any help would be greatly appreciated

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    There was one time when Office Update refused to run for me and it was because I installed IE Spell, a spell checker that integrates itself into the browser.

I don't use Ie anymore because I spend to much time with spybot

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    try dumping your temporary internet files, (cache), cookies, etc..

Also when you do these updates, use Internet Explorer. I have found occassionally that updating office with a browser other than IE, will give these types of errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    try dumping your temporary internet files, (cache), cookies, etc..

Also when you do these updates, use Internet Explorer. I have found occassionally that updating office with a browser other than IE, will give these types of errors.
    IE is the only way I can get them . I can also I can go into the catlodg or downloads and download them but it gives me an error message when I go to installl it says it says this patch package could not be opened. Verify that thew patch package exists that you can access it. verify if this is a valid windows installer patch package. even if I try to uninstall this office xp program I recieve the same message. and office xp runs and everything I just wanted to uninstall a few features so I don't have them running in the back ground I wanted to uninstall the speech to text .
    Last edited by Meph; May 27th, 2004 at 04:06 AM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Have you tried the command line detect/repair?

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...FFICESOFT.html

That should get Office XP working correctly so that you can either A uninstall it or be update it.

If not try a system restore? Or a format would be the last option

well when I do the detect and repair I recieve the same message as above and also system restore does'nt fix it . looks like a formayt must be done . thank you all for your input