Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XP attempts login then logs out

THANX a 1000 times

Hi Furboi.

I can't thank you enough for posting the solution to the problem. I had the problem for about 8 days, but wouldn't give up so easily, by formating the partition and install XP again ( I've got multiboot with win98 so I just used that one ) and luckly I didn't. I just did what you wrote "copy userinit.exe to wsaupdater.exe" from win98, rebooted into XP and jubii it worked.

Thanx so very much

Safe Mode

Hi AngelDaae.

Have you tried to boot into Safe Mode ? If you don't know how, you do like this ........
    When you turn on your computer and it's finish loading the BIOS settings
    ( the hardware ) and just before it's beginning to load the windows settings,
    I think a message appear saying " starting windows " ( I've gor a permanent boot menu so this message don't appear ) you press F8 and a menu with a lot af options appear, use the down arrow to the menu " Safe Mode ", it takes a while but once in windows try to go to " ad - remove software " and see if this " Windows Search Assist " is still on the list and uninstall it again.
    If this isn't the case you can boot from your XP CD ( do you use XP ) and do a Repair, which dosn't erase your windows settings, but just repair the windows files.
    On MS Website you can find a describtion on how to do it. You can find the site 2 ways.
    1)
    support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];kbjump
    and type 315341 in the search field
    2)
    the direct link .....
    support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341&Product=winxp

( you have to put " http:// " infront of both Url 1 + 2. I can't write the whole url so it's posted right )

In the article you have to look a bit down the page under " METHOD 2 "

Hope this will help - if you have any problems just write

Good Luck
    Sanne

No XP cd

I was wondering if it was possible to fix it without using the XP cd. Cuz unfortunetly i down own a copy and know no one with a copy. So pls lemme know if this is possible...Thanks

Talking Windows XP wont log in

Quote Originally Posted by Bijorne
    I've got a version of xp (maybe oem) with no possibility of repair.
    So I try the method found on next webpage:

http://www.digitalwebcast.com/2002/0..._boot_toot.htm

It's long but shorter than a full reinstall and IT WORKS !!!!

Thx Charlie White and the people of this forum

Hi folks, sorry I am new around here and found this forum out of desperation - and BOY, AM I GLAD I DID.

Firstly, many thanks to Bijorne for posting Charlie Whites article and big thanks to CW for the article itself.

I had tried all of the 'userinit' solutions posted elsewhere here and they didnt work.........CW's article, whilst very long did work and has enabled me to recover a lot of important work.

In short, if nothing else works, and you have had 'System restore' switched on give it a shot!

Thanks to all in this forum for their time in posting

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Glad you could find help here, and Welcome to Techzonez.

Awsome fix!!!!!!! Oh my God, I was working on a customers computer when this happend and i was gonna die! Thank you for posting this fix you saved my life!!!!!!!!!!

Titanium Member
    Everytime I reboot I get a message that Ramdiskxp wants to install - so it tries to but then errors (I had to delete from Program files because it would not uninstall) and I have no connection. DHCP is stuck on "starting" and upsserv.exe is running very high CPU I rebooted again recently and some services and apps failed to start or were using very low memory so could not display. I system restore to the day before and upon logging in it would immediately say it's logging out. I am using mini-PE to post this. Has anyone found a particular windows file that is at fault? ***edit - i'll try the above methods.

**edit -
    I ran scannow and reinstalled sp2 - overkill but it solved Ramdiskxp from trying to install.

Hijackthis reports: "Broken internet access because of LSP chain gap (#43 in chain of 43 missing)

From CMD: RPC server is unavailable
    Last edited by lynchknot; January 18th, 2005 at 21:45 PM.