I hope you can help me as I'm going a little insane troubleshooting a strange networking issue for a friend. The problem is this:
My friend has a computer that will simply not work using any configuration hooked up to my network hub. He has two network cards (one integrated on an Epox mobo / one generic Realtek 10/100 PCI card) both of which are correctly installed, have the latest drivers etc and are reported as working fine under Windows XP Device manager. However the “a network cable is unplugged” message always appears along with the “systray unplugged icons” regardless of which card we connect to. Now I know the typical things that will be suggested for this kind of problem so here is everything that I know and that has been ruled out as a potential problem:
1. I have tried multiple ports on the hub. None of them work with his computer, but all of them work fine with other computers
2. I Am definitely using a proper patch cable. I've tried a couple of diff cables to be on the safe side. The cables works fine connected to other PCs.
3. His RealTek network card works fine in another computer.
4. The network card lights on the back of the PC don’t light up at any stage. Either when the computer is first turned on/booting or within Windows.
5. Now here’s the weird part: We can get both of his network cards to work just fine when using a crossover cable connected directly to another PC! I.e. the lights light up straight away and the network card/s work absolutely fine for a direct PC connection to another computer, but just wont work when connected to a hub!
What on earth would cause this?! I cant think of a single thing that would allow a PC’s network card to work fine with a direct connection to a single PC, but not work when using a patch cable connected to a hub!
Please help guys as this problem is driving me utterly insane!
Thanks a lot for your input.