Thread: IE locking up

IE locking up

I have a brand new Dell box with XP Home. I have all the Spybot protection working and my box actually is very quick...only problem...IE6 is locking up when I surf...very frustrating. Any suggestions out there? Thanks!!

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    do you get the same effect with a different browser. is it inbetween pages, downloading, using plugins(java, quicktime, etc). are you up to date on your service packs and IE updates.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Also make sure that you are updating the Ad-Aware to get their latest definition files...might also want to try Spybot or Spyware Blaster as well as Ad-Aware.

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Also make sure that you are updating the Ad-Aware to get their latest definition files...might also want to try Spybot or Spyware Blaster as well as Ad-Aware.
    to add to this go here http://techzonez.com/forums/showpost...35&postcount=1 for eggheads tutorial on spyware and other boogers.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Try clearing your temp internet files.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Thanks for the prompt replies. To answer Phishhead ( by the way I am a vintage Deadhead and love your logo), I will try things out with another browser to see what happens. I tried installing IE SP1 last night but since found out that Windows XP already has that. I will have to check my plugins as you suggested. The problem occurs when I am on a website and click just about anything. The problem is intermittant also. To answer Reverend and Rik, I am using McAffe firewall and also have Spybot working for me. Should I get Ad Aware also? As for clearing my Internet files, I will definitely do that. Again...thanks to all for the suggestions.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Adding Ad-Aware won't hurt. I have seen cases where 1 proggy would find something the other missed...

Last night I downloaded and used Netscape as Phishhead had suggested. I was able to surf fast and easy with NO lock-ups. So...the problem seems to be with IE. Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Thanks.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Did you "immunize" IE with Spybot? Try reversing it, it might solve the problem.

Thanks for the reply Conan. I am not completely sure what you mean. I know about the Spybot Immunization function. I dont know if IE is one of the selected sites. What also did you mean by "reverse"?

might want to try and scan your system files for corrupt files. with the xp cd in the drive go to the run and type sfc /scannow. that will replace any corrupt system files.

you can also go to internet options and go to the programs and advanced tabs and reset web settings to default that might be a good start.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rlapine
    Thanks for the reply Conan. I am not completely sure what you mean. I know about the Spybot Immunization function. I dont know if IE is one of the selected sites. What also did you mean by "reverse"?
    In SpyBot there's a 'Undo' which will reverse the Immunization if you did it. Click on the Immunize button and you'll see it.

Immunize blocks a bunch of bad Active X and other things that affect IE, maybe something got messed up.