Thread: Power Supply Fan(s) not working

Question Power Supply Fan(s) not working

Hi, I am having trouble with any power supply I put into a computer. The fan will not run on the power supply. I have tried three different supplies and I have also tried a new processor. I am not sure what to do next. Any help would be appreciated. The system will boot and run but will eventually freeze, I am guess do to too much heat.
    Aaron Shover

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I don't know if i understand but are you saying the fan on the cpu heatsink isn't working ? if so then you must of tried another fan ? or the header on the mother board must be dead, try a different header or use a fan with a molex connector that plugs into the power supply lead.

No, what I am saying is that the fan in the power supply does not run. The power supply is working to the extent that it distributes power to the board but the fan in the supply will not turn on.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I'm thinking its a short on the mobo where you plug in the powersupply to. because the odds of having 3 ps fans not work is pretty rare. now the test would be to try the ps on a different mobo or pc and see if it acts the same way.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronshover
    The fan will not run on the power supply. I have tried three different supplies
    Ok, my bad

I don't know what to tell you if the fans in 3 different power supply's don't work all the power supply's I use the fans always run and don't depend on the temp for on or off.

Is the power supply fan the only fan that your PC has for exhausting the air out ?

What kind of PC ? can you post the temp of your CPU and inside your case ?

I did not try the supplies in any other machine. I work for a state agency so I cannot tell you the temp of the machine or the CPU because it does not lock up until I go home for the day. I was guessing it was a memory problem but that would only explain the machine freezing, not the fan problem. I now realize that it is probably a short on the MOBO seeing that it will boot but will eventually freeze. The nature of the computer freezing looks to me like a power failure, which would conclude that either I was not using a powerful enough supply (I cannot use anything over 250 watt due to state restrictions, stupid I know) or there is a short or something on the board restricting the power. My next move is to replace the board. My purchaser has approved the purchase of three different MOBOs and three new supplies as well as three new processors but will not approve a $30 400 watt power supply...go figure!

Power Supply Fan

I also work for a State Agency, have for 20+ years now, all computers state owned are leased and have service warranty.

So I can't help but wonder why you have not contacted your Systems Administrator, and/or Helpdesk??

Yes, you are right, they are leased. As for the warranties you are correct but it is our job to fix the problem if we can and if we can't then we must submit a trouble ticket to get it taken care of. Even the company which has our contract for warranties couldn't figure it out. By the way I am the help desk/Administrator