Thread: USB pendrive not working in WinME

USB pendrive not working in WinME

My PC hangs or fails to correctly recognise a perfectly good Pendrive which works on XP systems. I have had a USB joypad running so not sure what is wrong?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    You normally need to install the drive with a driver disk. I had a bit of trouble getting my Pen drive to work in a windows 98 se machine.

I had to download the 98 driver, and manually install the drive, in the hardware properties of 'My Computer'

Then I had to reboot for it to see the drive. And I had to make sure the pen drive was inserted before booting or it wouldn't recognize it.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    WinME is supposed to automatically recognize USB storage drives.

Windows Me is the last version of the Win98 Operating System. Many Win98SE peripheral drivers will work on systems running the Me operating system, some will not. If you are experiencing problems with a USB device that requires non-native drivers, check with the manufacturer for a WinMe version of the software and drivers.
    Windows ME is a troublesome operating system. I had quite a bit of issues like this with it.

I have no idea where to find a driver. There is no serial number, it's a black 64Mb drive shaped like a small highlighter pen with DELL written on it. Searching the dell site and google for dell pendrive drivers was fruitless. Any ideas?

Really Conan was correct. I was just ribbing him. ME should detect the USB drive automatically and use a generic driver to install the USB drive as a removeable device.

If that is not working, try another USB port. Still get the same issue?

Then go into the device manager (right click my computer, properties, hardware, device manager)

Then scroll down until you find Universal Serial Bus Controllers, and remove all that crap. Right click and uninstall.

Then reboot the PC. Make sure the pen drive is not connected.

Now, it should find your USB controllers and reinstall them.

Then reboot. Plug in the USB Pen drive and start ME.

IF it does not find the device after this, and you are sure it works with another OS, then it is either the port problem or the OS problem.

It could be that the USB pen drive is too fat to insert properly in your USB ports. IF that is the case, you might want to get a new USB pen drive or a USB pen drive cable extender (these are great I have two and they work wonders for PCs without front USB).

Second could be the USB port cable inside the case is loose?? This can be checked by inserting another USB device in the port to make sure it is working correctly.

As for the driver, I will look for one. You may have to contact dell directly to get that support.. Rik might be able to answer this one for you.

UPDATE:

http://www.memorykeytools.com/

there's the 98 drivers for the DELL USB pen drive.. you might give them a try.
    ;D

Fixed after reinstalling USB and then using win98 driver for the device.

Thanks guys.

Glad to have helped. Welcome to Techzonez.