Thread: Here's another interesting occurrence re XP.

Here's another interesting occurrence re XP.

Is it surprising and any idea what's going on.

Yesterday I clicked on a link to a site, was lisltening to the site's music, left the site, but the music continued as I tried to go to another site. Then cliks and pops. I reinstalled my soundcard drivers--don't know if that made a difference, but my sound system is working lnormally.

OK, but the real linteresting thing is that I could not shut down, either normally or by hitting the power switch...UNTIL...

a thunderstorm came up and deciding risking my computer would not start up again, I pulled the plug froml the UPS - literally. When the storm was over, it started up again from where it was the moment I pulled the plug (10" for that) and now it shuts down normally going Start > Shutdown > turn off. It's a gofigure. Why should pulling the plug change things so I could shutdown normally?

Thunderstorm is back. Gotta' go.

wumply

Weird or unusual behavior of computers

What are weird things your computers have done? It's interesting and fascinating. Or frustrating.

I've always had 8-12 icons in my XP systray and once I boot up in the morning it takes a full 3 minutes before the HD light stops flickering. However, earlier this week I clicked on a link I had in a list in an MS Word file. Fine...it called up the site and the site appeared. It had music. Well, I ldidn't care for the music so I clicked on another url in the file. The sound of lthe first site continued; never did get to the other site, there were some clicks and pops which continued until I closed out the first site and the Word file. My sound system then worked normally (site sounds, program sounds, CDs) ELXCEPT that...

(1) I had to turn the volume sliders way up to get the CD sound at a comfortable listening level whereupon the announcing new mail sound of Eudora and the sound saying "Quicken is ready to go" were extremely loud.

(2) After this incident, my computer would not shut down either normally or by hitting the power switch. It would freeze when it read "Windows is shutting down." Finally, I pulled the plug because of a thunderstorm. That forced it to shut down. Well, now it can be shut down normally but it only takes 2 minutes at most to boot--as if the shutdown had been only partial.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    as far as the system tray...go to start>>>run>>>and type MSCONFIG...then go to the start up tab on the right and uncheck the things you dont need starting up. reboot and you just saved quite abit of ram on start up. and probably shaved off a few seconds.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Wumply,please do not double post.

I have now merged this thread into the one you posted earlier.

Thanks.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Reverend...I can see that the topics of the two posts are indeed similar even including some of the same facts, but the thrust of each was, I feel, quite different.