Thread: XP does not recoginze 2nd HD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

XP does not recoginze 2nd HD

Background: I have a P4 machine running windows XP on the C: and using the D: for games and other programs. Both are NTFS and C: is basic while the D: is dynamic (dont ask me why my friend set me up this way)

Last weekend we had a bad thunderstorm and my pc was off when I woke up the next morning and turned it on the D: was no longer there. I have used some of the DIY tools like iRecover to get some of my files off the D:

Under disk managment XP sees the drive but its not active and when I activate it. It gives me an error. I have then used XP's recovery console to view the drives and when I type Map it shows all the drives and the D: is there but its drive letter is a ? not D. Using diskpart to assign that volume to D will that fix it or anyone have anything else to try.

TIA

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    man been getting alot of these lately. in the recovery console try fixmbr. see if that helps.

Forgot to mention I did do the fixmbr and tried to reboot and it still didnt recognize the drive I have also dl'ed diskpatch and ran a couple things on that and still nothing.

Tonight I'm going to try and assign it a drive letter using diskpart tool. My data is all there just doesnt recognize the drive when I get home I will post the error message that I get and get a screen shot if that will help?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    if you can recover the data I would move it then fdisk and create a new partition then move the data back after making sure that its healthy.

After using the diskpart tool and viewing the partition it says

partition 1
    type 42
    hidden yes
    active no

There is no volume associated with this partition.

Viewing the disk information says:

Maxtor 6y120L0
    Disk ID: 2eab6664
    Type: IDE
    Bus: 0
    Target: 1
    LUNID: 0
    There are no volumes.

Event viewer gives me these message:

Disk group JeremyDg0: Errors in some configuration copies:
    Disk Harddisk1, copy 1: Block 0: Invalid magic number in the configuration copy

INTERNAL Error - The disk group contains no valid configuration copies (C10000B6).

I tried to create a volume but it says not enough space to create a volume. Is there anyway I can get my disk working again without fdisk and reformatting?