Thread: who is good with Nero?

Bronze Member

who is good with Nero?

i got the nero ultimate edition 6

but i got some confusing questions. i gotta play around with it some more so i can ask the questions clearly.

it has to do with some responses with my laptop internal dvd and cd.

thanks
    Last edited by cityman; June 15th, 2004 at 23:28 PM.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    most of the vets here use nero so ask away when youre ready.

Bronze Member
    different packet writing programs- B's Clip, Nero v6, Roxio v6.

my brand new laptop came preinstalled with a burning program titled- B's Clip. not knowing it well and more familiar with nero. but i stayed with b's clip for a month. and then switched to nero. after that i started having trouble with burning. for example a file/program burned with B's clip and when i tried to overwrite it or quick format it would not happen. i could not understand that. some of the CDRW's became worthless. i was mostly using cd media at that time.

i did use the dvd's (actually dvd-+rw ) and they were working fine with b's clip. it would on the fly format InCD (which is what i need to backup using Acronis- True Image).

not knowing this, as i said, i uninstalled B's clip and started using nero much more. after a while, i realize that to use acronis true image, i have to preformat independently the dvd using InCD format (which takes 2 hours) and then use the program. also i am finding out those dvd's with b's clip before are giving me trouble. looking at windows explorer and left clicking the dvd's disk, a pictorial circular graph would show the space on the dvd disk is completely full. but if i did with nero a quick format- nothing happened. all the space was still used. so i had to use InCD format to reuse the dvd.

there are other inconsistencies that occur. i am not going drone on. so now i am thinking the heck with nero and go back to b's clip or maybe get roxio's cd/dvd v6 program.

what i am starting to think is these different programs may do the cd and the dvd burning but they do not interact with each other- that is.. if i burn using nero. i cannot reuse that same disk using say Roxio or B's clip.
    ???does this sound right??? am i explaining it well???

if this is true .. now what?

thanks,

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Packet writing programs like InCD and the like are always troublesome, I keep them off my PC. You could make a small partition on your hard drive and store the image there instead of a DVD/CD.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I'm with conan I dont use packet writing either cds are dirt cheap so I just burn and toss if need be. but I use nero for general burning, clonecd for making backup copies of my games, and roxio for making my home videos from the camcorder

Bronze Member
    makes sense. i just may have to do it that way. thanks

--
    but here's another problem-- can different programs (B's Clip, Nero and Roxio) format UDF/InCD well- but will not work with one another? for example: one CD rw disk is formatted (by itself) using Iso standards, but when you want to re-write over it using a different program - problems occur; it just cannot be done. the same situation for DVD-RW- it is formatted on the fly (while burning) using UDF/InCD. but if you want to redo the same disk, complications occur and later you cannot save the data on the dvd because of 2 different programs?

it is almost like udf packing software- do not work well with each other. does this make sense?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Yes I think that packet writing will be incompatible between different programs. If you have to use it, just stick to one.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    One important thing to mention.If you use a third party burning application,you need to go to My Computer, right click the CD-RW icon and select properties.On the Recording tab make sure "Enable CD recording on this drive" is unchecked. If you leave it checked it can cause conflicts between the third party burning app and XP's built in burning software.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    One important thing to mention.If you use a third party burning application,you need to go to My Computer, right click the CD-RW icon and select properties.On the Recording tab make sure "Enable CD recording on this drive" is unchecked. If you leave it checked it can cause conflicts between the third party burning app and XP's built in burning software.
    i have not found the CD-RW icon.

if i left click on My Computer, i get the system tasks and layout of the different files and programs and the the different drives.

if i right click on My Computer, i get contextual information but no CD-RW icon.

what am i missing here?
    thanks

Bronze Member
    i finally learned a few things and i hope i am clear about it.
    ---
    background information i had b clip and then changed for nero. but that created a whole mess of issues which was cleared up. <grin>

in the beginning when i initially purchased this laptop for the first month i would use a preinstalled burning program- b clip. it was working great. it would perform differently than nero. and that what i learned. for example, when using acronis software, with b clip doing the burning, it would automatically burn udf on the fly. i was used to it. but when i used nero, it did not work on the fly. i had to preformat the disk and then use acronis. it tooked 2 hours to do that <way too long esp after using b's clip>

this also made me confused, not knowing there were performance/burning differences not only between the different programs (b clip and nero) but also the different way ISO operated than UDF.

i was thinking (being used to the floppy disks, ugghhhh .. lol ) that iso could be reused. as a friend pointed out ***... once you burned iso cd you cannot edit it. (unless you reformat it)*** and that is what i did not know and that throughly confused me <grin>.

but here is the real major thing that i really do not understand- with a new fresh cdr, i would use iso (thinking it was behaving like a udf) and burn some data. but when i went to verify the burning, using windows explorer, it would show that cd drive was " inaccessible". i could not see the files listed. i can see the other programs listed on the non cd drives but not there. so what am i doing wrong here?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cityman
    i have not found the CD-RW icon.

if i left click on My Computer, i get the system tasks and layout of the different files and programs and the the different drives.

if i right click on My Computer, i get contextual information but no CD-RW icon.

what am i missing here?
    thanks
    When you open My Computer what drives are listed ??

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Bronze Member
    bingo! <lol>

i was looking for the icon that said "CD-RW" not the where the icon where the cd/dvd drive was located. duh-h-h ..thanks

ps: it was unchecked.

thanks reverend!!!

Bronze Member

this came from B's clip website

B's Recorder GOLD7 and B's CLiP5 cannot be installed together with other packet-writing and recording software.

so that answers that. it is either b's clip or nero? i will stay with nero. i predict soon they will have on the fly udf formatting.

just go to wait.

Bronze Member
    something for udf packet software--

CDRoller is a powerful, easy-to-use and low-cost toolset for CD/DVD data recovery.

Key Features:

Effectively retrieves the data from the discs created by "drag and
    drop" CD/DVD writing software, such as well-known Roxio (Adaptec)
    DirectCD and Ahead Nero software packages.
    Recovers CD and DVD data created by standalone devices that record
    directly onto disks, including: Sony digital cameras, Hitachi DVD
    camcorders, personal DVD recorders, etc.

"On-the-fly" unpacks the files initially compressed by Roxio
    (Adaptec) DirectCD.

Retrieves back up files from the discs recorded in several stages
    (multisession discs).
    Finds and retrieves the lost files on UDF discs, including: accidently
    deleted files, files on quick-formatted disc, files on incorrectly
    closed disc, etc.