Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video card dead?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Unhappy Video card dead?

Ok, I came back from vacation. 3 days without Internet. Do you think that is bad? well.......
    I think my video card just died
    I had been having problems for a while. Suddenly I would have garbage in the screen and then it freezes, but just the screen. I can still do stuff (that I can hear)
    I thought it was video drivers, so I re-install them. Same problem, so finally today I came back from a long day at work (15 hours) and I decided to play a game. I opened NFSU and I couldn't see anything. Rebooted, and after log on it will tell me mode unsopported (that is what the monitor said) Weird, since the monitor supports resolutions of 1600x1280 and I was just using 1280x1024. So I tried in safe mode, changed resolution to 800x600 and tried again with no luck.
    I went back to safe mode, unistalled drivers, rebooted, windows installed standard drivers, then I installed 53.03 drivers, rebooted... and then garbage again in the log in screen. So I thought, OK that is it, maybe the card is not well seated. I took the card out and reseated. Rebooted and after 10 minutes, garbage again (and some time later BSOTD)
    From there.....
    I don't know what else to try before accepting the idea of a dead card.
    Suggestions??

Titanium Member
    just a stab - is the fan spinning?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Do you have another machine that you can test the card in. If you get the same garbage on the other machine then you can definitely rule that the card has shat itself.

I don't know... maybe the card's not recieving enough watt like mine??
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Lk, yes, that was one of ths first things I checked. Fan i sspinning, and card doesn't get that hot. I think that if the problem is the card it might be in the memory.
    Next time it freezes up again, I will try it out in the other computer. That is a good tip

Hey, quick update (HAVEN"T HAD TIME TO TEST THE CARD IN THE OTHER PC)
    One think that I remebered last week, I did overclocked a little the card some months ago. I think I put it back to normal, but I am not positively sure.
    Is there a way to check it out? what is the program to overclock Nvidia card? The one I used it was like a setting more in the card settings (Nvidia tab)

OK, it crashed while typing in TZ this time. Not even graphic intensive
    I used thee oportunity and tryed the card in the other computer, and SAME RESULT. IT crashed just from changing the resolution. So, there is no doubt the video card is bad.
    IT is a PNY and I had a problem in the past. Actually, when I bought this card, I unistalled my old card (GeForce 2 Ti) and a capacitor (micro) fell. I called customer service, explained that a capacitor felt too easily from the motherboard, and since I have worked with instalation of this micro-capacitors, I explained that the cause if that the card wasn't enought time in the oven after aplying the glue. Don't laught, that is how it is done (My uncle even has the machines that install this things [one install 60 per minute, the other 80 per minute]) and the guy agreed that is a defect. I got my replacement card in 2 weeks. I sold that brand new card to my brother which he has been using intensively for almost 2 years (He Plays MOHAA, BEyond Good and Evil, Hitman 2 at least 5 hours a day, and he wonders why he is flunking University)
    so, tomorrow I will be calling TS (if I can find the number) During the next 2 weeks I won't have a card thought

Good news about getting a new card - bad news about the 2 weeks wait -

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

i got my card today.
    Well, I actually sent mine in Thuesday, and I already got the replacement
    And it evens has the heatsink in copper matching the heatsink from the memory modules. It looks a lot better than my original one I guess I should brake cards more often then

I just wanna ask if a video card experience this "garbage" problems, is there a way to fix it? Or should I accept the fact that I need to buy a new one? I'm using a GeForce4 Ti4200 128ddr. I also thought that the garbage problem was cause by the overheat, because my video cards fan stop spinning awhile ago...I did manage to replace the fan, but the those garbages starts appearing...

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Probably time for a new one...

man all i can say is that makes me want to stay away from the geforce cards.Ive used ATI radeon cards for a long time and have never had any problems like the ones you guys mentioned.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant
    man all i can say is that makes me want to stay away from the geforce cards.Ive used ATI radeon cards for a long time and have never had any problems like the ones you guys mentioned.
    I use both ATI and Nvidia, like them just the same

When ATI 9700pro's came out some of them had this problem, I was one of the unlucky one's sent it back & got a new one

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    My 9700 Pro ROCKS!!

Isha2005's problably is related to the faulty fan. It might have run a while without a fan, and that is why it prouces garbage now.
    Another reason for garbage can be overclocking the video card. I don't think it is a Nvidia, or ATI issue. Worst case it might be a manufacturer of the card (PNY, ASUS, Gainward, etc)
    Until the FX time, the GF 4 Ti were the fastest, and I am quite happy with mine. I had 2 cards fail, but I can't blame the company, but be gratefull because I got exchange on both oportunities. One I removed a microcomponent while replacing the card (it should not have fall off, but it did), and the other one, I actually overclocked it for a month
    If Isha didn't replace the fan he/she could have get a replacement for it (might still be able thought)
    Best is to call tech support