Thread: a network cable is unplugged

a network cable is unplugged

im sure you have all came across the before, but im a newbie to the whole networking side of computers.
    what it is i have 2 computers 1 on winXP and the other on win2000.
    on this machine (winXP) i have on-board nvidia network controller. on my 2000 machine i have (as shown in device manager) " 3com etherlink xl 10/100 pci tx nic (3c905b-tx) "

i bought a BELKIN CAT6 Networking Cable - Premium Snagless Patch Cable, i plugged it into both computers and proceeded to run the network setup wizard on my XP machine.

no matter what i have tried, reinstalling hardware, software betweenthen and now i have constantly recieve the message "a network cable is unplugged".

even when i tried to ignore the messege and carry on with the wizard, it asked me to create a wizard setup disk to install on any machine toi be connected to the LAN not on winXP (that would be my win2000 machine) but no, the disk is designed for every other OS but win2000 it tells me when i tried to run it.

can someone please put me out of my misery!

I don't know anything about the internal network controller, however I think that the first thing I would do is try a crossover cable discussed here: http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/dyi_crossover.htm
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

hmm i just read through that. wot is the difference between that cable and the 1 i already have?

You can buy a crossover cable at most computer shops or you can make one. If you decide to make one, there is much help available via a Google search. Another good reference is here. LINK

You can also buy the cable over internet. A vendor I use is Dalco Electronics.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    save the hassle and buy yourself a router very cheap nowadays. and it gives you that extra feeling of security.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Personally I would try another cable first. It sounds like the NIC just isn't seeing that there is a cable plugged in.