Thread: XP Pro and ctrl+Alt+Del: Task Manager v Security Box

XP Pro and ctrl+Alt+Del: Task Manager v Security Box

My PC at home and at work both have XP Pro onboard. Both were loaded out of the box with default settings yet on my work computer when I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del I get the Windows Security Box which allows me to lock the computer or make other choices including Shutdown or open Task Manager.

At home when I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del the Task Manager window always comes up. I have looked high and low throughout the OS and the online knowliedge base but can't find a setting switch to change my home computer so the Windows Security Box comes up, so I can lock the computer at home as I do the one at work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Is your work computer on a network? Is your home computer on a network? I can't seem to recall but I think the features you're looking for are part of the Domain Network function of Windows. Is your home pc part of a windows domain?

There are some freeware/shareware desktop utilities out there that might do what you want.

on network

Both work and home are on networks and work is on domain but home isn't but I've talked to people at work and they have computers at home not on networks or in domains and it doesn't make a difference. Can anyone HELP!

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Go to Control Panel > User Accounts.
    Click on "Change the way users log on or off " and uncheck "Use the Welcome screen" . Click the Apply Options button.

Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del should now bring up the Windows Security box.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Regardless of all that, you can lock the PC by simply pressing the Windows key and L.

Click Start> Control Panel> Administrative tools> Local Security Policy and scroll to Interactive logon; do not require CTRL-ALT-DEL - right click this and choose properties, and it is already enabled, choose disable, then apply this.

Next in control panel, double click users> change the way users log on or off and take the ticks out of both boxs.

thats it, now you can use CTRL-ALT-DEL