Thread: Should I change OS to 2000?

Question Should I change OS to 2000?

My system is a 128Mb Duron750MHz currently running ME. Apart from ME not being sure if it's 9x or not it's not too bad but I'm a programmer and want to get visual studio.net which needs a nt/2000 kernel ie Win2000 or XP. I can get 2000 cheaper and I think it's less resource hungry than XP on my system. My main question is whether games and hardware are harder to get going on 2000 or if drivers and DirectX will not be a problem.

Thankyou...

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I think it would be perfect for what you want to do. only suggestion would be to double your ram atleast. Its so dirt cheap now. can 256m for under 50 bucks.

Only thing is I don't know if I can get the non-DDR DIMMs I need. Tried one with correct number of pins but it didn't work, may have to look at voltage too...

So there's so sense that XP is better for games? I know there were problems getting NT to run DX games but 2K & XP have the same core I believe; 2K just has less crap on top?!

I agree I put W2K on most of our machines, 3 run XP, apart from the slow boot up of W2K compared to XP, I prefer it. If your struggling with the ram give the guys at crucial.com a bell they are usually pretty helpful, otherwise why not whip the mobo out & put a new bundle in complete with ram & CPU an ok one is only about 150 quid

Just upgrade the RAM as advised. I say go for Win2000 becasue frankly, ME is the worst and most unstable OS that I've ever seen apart from Win95.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield