Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NTFS and Windows

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

NTFS and Windows

Quote Originally Posted by PCstats
    When I work on PCs, I'm often amazed to see Win2k/WinXP boxes running FAT32 partitions rather than NTFS... NTFS is faster, more stable and more secure than FAT32. I guess people are just worried about killing their OS and not being able to access their old files. If you're using a FAT32 partition and notice your HDD slowing down the rest of your computer, you can convert file systems without having to repartition the drive. Load up your command prompt (Start, Run then type CMD and press the Ok button) and there type this command "Convert x: /FS:NTFS" (where x is the drive letter you want to convert). When you press enter, it'll ask you for a confirmation so press "Y" to each question, and then hit enter. This will force your system to reboot and start the conversion.
    I haven't tried this, but curious, since most computers at work are runing the OS in FAT32, and we have NT4, W2K, and XP. I also wonder if it can be reversed.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    and just a warning takes a hell of along time.

Convert NTFS to FAT32 - well maybe.

http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1820
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Well FAT 32 is faster than NTFS. It's just that NTFS has a lot more advantages to it except absolute speed.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Well FAT 32 is faster than NTFS. It's just that NTFS has a lot more advantages to it except absolute speed.
    I agree with Conan, the stability of NTFS is really good compared to FAT32 so all except really old machine should happily run NTFS.

I've done the convert before. Slow, but it works.

You can convert FAT 32 to NTFS using this method but it's irreversible. The only way to switch back is formatting the drive. BTW, it didn't take me more than 5 minutes to do the conversion!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

uppss
    Still, it is a good reminder....no?

Without a doubt DEHC. Reminders are a necessity.

I tried it in a system that I run the recovery CD yesterday and it only took about 15 minutes to re-format a 40 GB drive. I think the trick is the free space. With more free space it is easier for the utility to move the files around and get done with the format

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    I converted due to an article I read somewhere saying that FAT was notorious for corruption. The other reason is that it defrags SOOO fast. FAT32 will take like 4 hours on an almost full 20GB 95% fragmented disk compared to 1/2 hour with NTFS.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Ok, here is something interesting. After converting 3 computers, I had problems re-partitioning the hard drives with Partition Magic. Something about sequence error 1512 if I bad don't remember.
    Anyone else tryied PM?

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I have used PM, but I haven't had that problem before.

Without the exact message it is pretty tough to hunt that down and find a solution. I've had problems using an older version of PM do partition linux partitions.. it would simply hang on reboot. If you created the boot disks like they say then you can usually weasel around it.

Partition Magic wont work with large hard disks like the 120GB i have. Something to do with the number of cylinders. The programme is not supported anymore anyways, better just thrash it.
    Get Quintessential player, the alternative to winamp! ( www.quinnware.com )