Thread: SpoofStick: As seen on The Screensavers

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

SpoofStick: As seen on The Screensavers

This item works on both IE and Firefox. I'm getting it now and according to the articles it's a security measure worth having.

The TSS Article:http://www.g4techtv.com/feature.aspx?article_key=47688

Phishing Protection
    written by Steve Bass on Wednesday, June 23, 2004

I got a brilliant email from a PayPal phisher this morning, and another from EarthLink. They were both so startlingly real and well-written that I was almost fooled. It didn't help that the EarthLink message said my credit card has expired; coincidentally, it had.
    I've found easy-to-use free tools to help you detect spoofed Web sites by showing you the actual site that you're on. For instance, when I clicked the link in my phishing email, the resulting screen looked like PayPal, but the tools showed me that I was actually at 211.28.155.210, and PayPal would never show you a raw IP address when you're logging in. That's very cool.

Spoofstick

Spoofstick is a toolbar for Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. Because it's just a simple browser extension, Spoofstick is no-brainer to use. It sits on your browser toolbar and helps you detect spoofed websites by showing exactly the site you've landed on, not the one that appears to be on your screen.

Once nice touch: the height of the toolbar is adjustable. The author, a forthright guy, says on his Web site, "it's not a comprehensive solution, but it's a good start."

EarthLink's ScamBuster

ScamBlocker is available on an Internet Explorer-compatible toolbar that includes a Google search engine and a very effective pop-up blocker. The one downside is that the EarthLink Toolbar is larger (from top to bottom) than the other IE toolbars I use.

Directly from the SpoofStick Home page: http://www.realtimecredentials.com/spoofstick/

What is SpoofStick?
    SpoofStick is a simple browser extension that helps users detect spoofed (fake) websites. A spoofed website is typically made to look like a well known, branded site (like ebay.com or citibank.com) with a slightly different or confusing URL. The attacker then tries to trick people into going to the spoofed site by sending out fake email messages or posting links in public places - hoping that some percentage of users won't notice the incorrect URL and give away important information. This practice is sometimes known as “phishing".

SpoofStick makes it easier to spot a spoofed website by prominently displaying only the most relevant domain information. It's not a comprehensive solution, but it's a good start.

Titanium Member
    omg this thing uses up an entire toolbar for itself. I think a small traffic light indicator option should be in order. Red for spoof. Green for good. Hoverover for tooltip to show you url. - Or, at least, put it on the status bar.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Even the small font is huge. Nothing like tellin' everybody where you're surfing. I like the concept though. I'd much prefer a smaller font and maybe the option to have it display on the status bar or maybe a popup when the URL host doesn't match the actual host. But all-in-all I'm glad someone took the effort to do this. This is almost a "must have".

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Titanium Member
    Mozilla needs to fix the bug.