Thread: Desktop Icon in QuickLaunch

Desktop Icon in QuickLaunch

As we know, Windows XP provides us with an option of adding a QuickLaunch toolbar to the Taskbar. By default, this toolbar contains three icons: Desktop icon, Internet Explorer icon, Windows Media Player icon.

I deleted the desktop icon from this toolbar and I am unable to restore it. I tried relaunching the QuickLaunch toolbar but it does not show the desktop icon now.

However, before deleting, I did find out the path of the desktop icon, ie, where it is located. It is located in the following path:

C:\Documents and Settings\Samuel\Application Data

In the folder "Application Data", there is a file located by the name "desktop" which is 62 bytes. This file is hidden and can only be viewed by enabling the option "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" in the "Folder Options" menu.

In this file, the following data can be found:

[.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-21765

The above data acts as a code for the desktop icon in the QuickLaunch toolbar. So when we are having open windows and we want to minimize them all at once instead of doing it one at a time, we can press the desktop icon and the code above which is related to the desktop icon takes the action of minimizing them all at once.

Now I know many of you may suggest that instead of going through all the hassle, just press the "Windows+D" keys on the keyboard or right-click on the taskbar and click the "Show the Desktop" option.

Yes, you are right, but I would like to recreate the desktop icon for my QuickLaunch toolbar as I find that more convenient. I know the above code which is present in the file named "desktop" is related to the action of the desktop icon, but I don't know how to go about this.

It would be really nice if someone would please let me know.

Thanks.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    From http://www.theeldergeek.com/restore_...sktop_icon.htm

Restore Show Desktop Icon to Quick Launch on Taskbar

If the Show Desktop icon is deleted from Quick Launch, the procedure below will recreate the file.

Open Notepad and enter the following text:

[Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

Save the new file as Show Desktop.scf then drag and drop the icon on the Quick Launch bar or whatever location you want the shortcut to appear.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Thanks a lot for the help Petard, really appreciate.