Thread: How much can a 200W Power Supply handle?

How much can a 200W Power Supply handle?

I have a Gateway Performance 733 PIII Desktop with a 200 watt power supply. It came with a DVD-ROM and floppy w/ 64 MB RAM, but I was wanting to add a CD burner and two 128MB Crucial memory sticks (located via system memory finder). Finally I want to add a 16MB PCI video card.
    My question is: can my power supply support all this? Thank you.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    you would definately be pushing it nowadays you can get a generic 350w for about 30 bucks. also I would recommend a gforce3 32megs you can get those for about 35 bucks. Since it seems like you wont be overclocking you could buy a generic ram sticks and save your money for a better PSU or vid card.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Kingston ValueRAM 168 Pin 128MB SDRAM PC-133 - OEM $32
    Or Generic RAM ALL Components 168 Pin 256MB SDRAM PC-133 - OEM 44$ (This is 256MB, you have to check that the motherboard supports that capacity)
    Compare to Crucial Crucial 168 Pin 256MB SDRAM PC-133 - OEM at 60$
    Video Cards (check to make sure there is a AGP port in your computer)
    CONNECT3D ATI RADEON 9200SE Video Card, 64MB DDR, TV Out, 8X AGP -RETAIL 30.80$
    Power Supply
    MGE 500W Super charger Power Supply For ATX P4 and AMD Ready, Model "ATX500W BK" -RETAIL 29.99
    Total cost of upgrade
    94 if you go with 128 MB RAM
    or 120 with 256 RAM crucial (from Neew Egg)
    Now, this actually is a good price. IT will leave you with a nice set up, you can play some games...but if you know your way around computer you could put together a system for that much. For example.
    Soyo - K7VME - VIA Socket A Barebones Kit with 52x CD-ROM, Keyboard, Mouse and Speakers 19.99 (after rebates)
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ / 256K Cache / 266MHz FSB / Socket A / Processor / Thoroughbred core 59.99 Thought I recomend you this..
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...03BC&CatId=256 (CPU in Newegg are cheaper)
    RAM for that system is only a few dollars more expensive, but it is a lot better
    Crucial 184 Pin 128MB DDR PC-2700 - OEM $32
    Mushkin Basic Green 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-2700 - Retail 39$ (This is good RAM and twice the capacity)
    You can use your old drive, but a new one would increase dramatically performance
    Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JB, OEM Drive Only 65 for ATA/100 and 68 for ATA/133
    40 GB are in the 50 and up, that is why I went directly for 80 (better value per GB)
    Now, here you spent more, mainly considering you have to wait for the mail in rebate, but the system is better. Your total investment is 180.
    Alternatively, if you don't want to build the system from scratch you can buy a refurbished system
    system with printer (2.6 Ghz)
    or with patience go to http://www.compusaauctions.com/cgi-b...menbr=32764874
    I bought a nice and decent PC (which my grandmother is using at work, and has passed 8 months and word still opens in a second) for 350
    Yep, every solution that I gave is more expensive, but I am giving you different aproaches. If you don't have some parts, upgrading an old computer can be more expensive, since new ones (even dirty cheap ones) have a lot more power. An upgrade can only give you so much.
    Lets say you will expend 150 for upgrades. Then sell the old one, for 100 (list it in the local newspaper, university adds and the like) and you have 250. Now, you can do a lot more
    Then again, you might have your reasons to upgrade the computer.
    You can also gain a nice rebate from taxes if you donate the old computer (sometimes even more than selling it)

200W is not going to get you far. You can't run a ATi Radeon 9800 for sure which eats 200W!! Try getting a new PS but make sure it will fit your case
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Get a 480W Powermax power supply for $29.99 and just $2.95 for shipping.

This should be a quality PS and it also looks great.

http://www.computergate.com/products...prodcd=P48ADEM
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc
    Get a 480W Powermax power supply for $29.99 and just $2.95 for shipping.

This should be a quality PS and it also looks great.

http://www.computergate.com/products...prodcd=P48ADEM
    It's cheap and looks good but the 12 volt rating at 17 amps does not make it a quality power supply.

Conan - You are absolutely right when it comes to providing power for your computer. I'm sure that the lights dim for a mile in every direction when you turn it on. Now my computer could run on power provided by a hamster running in a cage.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc
    Conan - You are absolutely right when it comes to providing power for your computer. I'm sure that the lights dim for a mile in every direction when you turn it on. Now my computer could run on power provided by a hamster running in a cage.
    He-he! It's just that so many Power Supplies claim to have 400 plus watts yet their +12 volt rails are pathetic. They should provide at least 20 amps on that rail. I get 33 amps with my Enermax PSU.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    How do you know how many AMPs do you get? (beside than reading the label)

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    He-he! It's just that so many Power Supplies claim to have 400 plus watts yet their +12 volt rails are pathetic. They should provide at least 20 amps on that rail. I get 33 amps with my Enermax PSU.
    ]

Your still illustrating one of the problems with power supplies. It is hard to know what you have. You have one rated at 33 amps, yet bet you have all of your computer equipment plugged into a 15 amp service. Here in the U.S. it is normal for a room to be wired with no more than a 15 amp circuit breaker.