Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got myself a dvd burner

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar

got myself a dvd burner

Finally made the plunge. I got a Liteon SOHW812S nice little drive. took about 15 mins to burn 4.5gigs of data. Its very quiet and now it only takes me about 30mins to burn a hr tape from my camcorder and the quality is 100x better than SVCD.

I did find a bios flash that will allow it to read at 32x instead of the 12 but I think I'll wait for fastgame since hes a cdfreak member.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Very nice Phish.You will love the dependibility of Lite On.Sony I believe uses them for their brand name burners.I have a Sony DU 14A with a firmware flash which is just so it can be recognized by Nero.They are getting faster and cheaper by the day.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Nice burner. It sure beats the hell out of a 700MB CDR, I'd certainly wait for FGs advice on the firmware upgrade.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Good for you. Hope it does well for you.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Nice specs phish. I'm looking for one like yours that can handle high speed CD-R writing.

Yup, I very recently got that one too !
    Close to the cheapest model over in Australia and awesome value for money. Got 2 blank DVD-Rs, PowerDVD5, Sonic MyDVD and DVD video editing software - all for $145 Aussie and all in a retail package ! Also separately bought 3 Verbatim DVD RWs and burnt my first DVD - what an amazing feeling - 4.7GB in the palm of my hand My entire freeware collection in a single DVD - Woohoo !

http://www.liteonit.com.tw/ODD/engli...e_sohw812s.asp
    This model has won numerous awards too.

Has anyone used the Sonic MyDVD software before. Seems to be able to do a full system backup to a DVD. Has anyone successfully recovered from this?

well I updated the firmware to R48SS0E, but I found some that are suppose to make the dvd reader a 32x not sure which to use though.

812s.us0g
    us0f
    us0a
    us05
    so fastgame got any clue which one I should use. I saw on liteon's site they will no longer rma drives which have been flashed with a firmware that is not supported with the drive.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I need to check it out, been a few weeks since I last went to CD freaks and I forgot which firmware was working the best, the last I heard was the US0Q is working good.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    I saw on liteon's site they will no longer rma drives which have been flashed with a firmware that is not supported with the drive.
    You can always flash it back unless you smoke the chip

I would leave it alone till I research it....DVD's aren't quite as easy as CD-R drives and I don't have a DVD drive for experiments.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.....JMHO dood

you know us techs have to tweak the hell out of it til it breaks then you get the newest and fastest. or you just get fastgames sloppy seconds.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    mmmm sloppy

I've uploaded a patched 832S firmware upgrade. Upgrades 812S to 832S so you now have dual burning funtionality

http://decentdownloads.x-istence.com/software/812S.exe

Triple Platinum Member
    i think i should get me one of those specially with my recent system recovery fiasco...

if the label on my cd-rom drive reads "hp cd-writer & dvd-rom" it doesn't imply that i can burn a dvd..right?
    Last edited by rohitk89; September 24th, 2004 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coathanger007
    I've uploaded a patched 832S firmware upgrade. Upgrades 812S to 832S so you now have dual burning funtionality

http://decentdownloads.x-istence.com/software/812S.exe

have you tested this? dont want to ruin a perfectly working burner.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rohitkumar
    i think i should get me one of those specially with my recent system recovery fiasco...

if the label on my cd-rom drive reads "hp cd-writer & dvd-rom" it doesn't imply that i can burn a dvd..right?

Right,it implies that you have a cd-writer and dvd player.What you have is called a combo drive.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.