Thread: Question Regarding Dual Booting XP...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Regarding Dual Booting XP...

Quick question for you folks. I've recently installed WinXP pro on my repairs box, on a second drive (to reinstall WINxp for a friend) and caused a problem with the booting on my system. Now when I boot the system It gives me the option to boot to either my drive, or the other hard drive's vers. of XP.

That isn't a problem in itself, but now that i've removed the 2nd drive from the system it still shows the 2nd drive as a boot option. I've tried editing the boot.ini file, and that changed it slightly, but didn't fix the problem ... I'm looking for a way to change it so that it bypasses that duel boot selection screen entirely, but still boots into the correct OS.

thanks in advance,

~Ash

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Hi Ashendarei did you try "my computer,properties,advanced,startup&recovery,settings,system startup,edit".There you will see in notepad "[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect"

Just edit or delete any other entries except this one.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Thanks for the response, and yes, that's where I went to edit the boot.ini file, below is what remains of my boot.ini file (copied over)

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I changed it out so that there was the only os there that I wanted, but I still get the boot screen where it asks me which os i want to log in as, either the WIN xp one, or "Windows Normal" either one will boot me normally, I was just wondering if there was a way to remove the screen entirely, or if I should just change teh timeout to 0 sec.

~Ash

Make sure your boot.ini files has only these lines in there.
    copy and paste the boot.ini lines mentioned by zipp51.
    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect"

Also right click My Computer and select Properties.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Under Startup And Recovery, click Settings.
    Under Default Operating System, the drop-down list displays the current boot system.
    Select the Windows XP OS from the list
    Deselect the option Time To Display List Of Operating Systems.
    Click OK.Restart
    Make sure you don't have any media in your drives and try resettings the bios back to defaults...Why not try everything

Thanks!