Thread: My XP Home Startup Disks Won't Work

My XP Home Startup Disks Won't Work

undefined
    Please go slowly with me because I am an old lady. I installed a CD rewriter on my computer, following instructions to the letter. When I turned on my computer it refused to boot. So, I downloaded and copied the 6 floppies required to use as startup disks. When I put them in my computer they loaded until Disk 6. Then I saw only "please wait..." and nothing ever happened. I've copied 3 different #6 disks. None of them work. How will I ever get my XP Home rebooted? Thank you.

I tried to use the six disk recovery pack early in my introduction to xp. It failed for me also. I ended up doing a clean install on the HD. If you can, that is my recommendation to you.

If you want to try to repair xp, then consult the "second" post at this LINK. Read all instructions carefully beforing starting.

I also think that Big Booger posted a thorough repair procedure some time ago. I couldn't find it. Maybe BB can and will provide a link for you.
    Last edited by efc; July 3rd, 2004 at 17:12 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

If you have your XP Home Installation CD, you can do a reformatt and a clean install as efc has said. Or you can attempt to repair it too through the CD.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    when you say it wont boot does it get past the POST (the black screens before booting to xp) or do you get the xp boot up screen. wait I think I know what you did you have the jumper on the cdrom drive set to master. the little plastic pin on the back of the drive should be set to SL or SLAVE check and see if its set to MA or MASTER. I think xp is getting confused on which device is master the cdrom or the hard drive....let us know.

Lolz, imagine the hard-disk being the CD-Rom Drive. Well, computers are computers. They have the processing capabilities but can't think!
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Thank You All. Xp Started--new Problem

Thanks so much. I moved the pin to "slave" and it booted up from the black screen. Everything seemed fine. Now after XP is running for 5 minutes or so the computer restarts itself to highlighted "Start Windows Normally. Then it goes back to the black screen with the same highlight, or sometimes XP restarts. Have I ruined my computer? Thanks for your kindness to the elderly.

I hope you didn't use the repair option on the CD as suggested above. If you did this using the pre-SP1 CD on a SP1 system, you'd have ruined your PC. You need to create a slipstream CD:
    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsX...p1-bootcd.html