Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: New Problem--computer Restarts Itself

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    11

    New Problem--computer Restarts Itself

    You were all so helpful with fixing my XP startup problem, but now after XP starts up it restarts itself after 5 minutes or so. I then get the black screen with "Start Windows Normally" highlighted. When I ok that I sometimes get the black screen back and sometimes XP loads. I am helpless and lost. Did I really mess it up this time? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Watching Your every move...
    Posts
    4,688
    Before it restarts does it give a message of any kind or does it just turn off and back on? Is there a timer that counts down first?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Before it restarts does it give a message of any kind or does it just turn off and back on? Is there a timer that counts down first?
    It will just be up and running, then suddenly it will restart. When the "Start Windows Normally" message is showing on the black screen there is a countdown clock at the bottom. If I hit "enter" the black screen sometimes reappears with the same message, or other times XP reloads. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Watching Your every move...
    Posts
    4,688
    So it was running fine before this began? Was anything added to it? If so first try undoing the changes, i.e. removing the software or device driver that was added. If the specific item added is unknown to you, try performing a System Restore.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    So it was running fine before this began? Was anything added to it? If so first try undoing the changes, i.e. removing the software or device driver that was added. If the specific item added is unknown to you, try performing a System Restore.
    I had installed a CD-RW which didn't want to work correctly, so I put the old CD player back in. When it restarted itself the first time I did a system restore and assumed that it would be fine. Then the darned, sneaky thing restarted itself again. The problem just won't go away. I don't know enough to even know how to get mad at myself. Thanks.

  6. #6
    Platinum+ Member z3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    621
    *


    As Rik said GA, you will probably need to replace the CD drivers.
    Whatever it takes to get into xp (even safemode) do it.

    Then go to your control panel / system / Hardware tab / Device manager.
    (NOTE: If the conflict is in fact with the cd-rw - there should be a yellow question mark "?" Located next to it.)

    Then in there, open the "dvd/cd rom drives" (click on the plus symbol).

    Then double click on the cd player in there.
    You will find the driver wizard under the "Driver" tab.

    If there is a question mark, I recommend removing the cd drivers first, then rebooting with your xp disc in.
    It should automatically detect the cd rom and install the correct drivers.

    Good luck.

    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

  7. #7
    Silver Member joshsiao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by Greataunty
    It will just be up and running, then suddenly it will restart. When the "Start Windows Normally" message is showing on the black screen there is a countdown clock at the bottom. If I hit "enter" the black screen sometimes reappears with the same message, or other times XP reloads. Thanks.
    New blaster worm varient? I don't think so. Maybe try safe mode first and see if it still restarts.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

  8. #8
    My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    live?
    Posts
    892
    It sounds like you are having are having a driver conflict. The first order of business would to see what is causing the conflict. In order to do this, you will need to disable the automatic restart.

    To do this, click on the Start button, right click the My Computer, and then left click on Properties. Under the properties screen, click on the Advanced tab and then click on the Settings button under the "Startup and Recovery" section. On the next screen, remove the checkmark in the box that is labled "Automatically Restart." Apply all the settings and close out of the windows.

    Once the error occurs, Windows will display a blue screen with the actual error. Write down the error and let us know so that we can further troubleshoot.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe
    It sounds like you are having are having a driver conflict. The first order of business would to see what is causing the conflict. In order to do this, you will need to disable the automatic restart.

    To do this, click on the Start button, right click the My Computer, and then left click on Properties. Under the properties screen, click on the Advanced tab and then click on the Settings button under the "Startup and Recovery" section. On the next screen, remove the checkmark in the box that is labled "Automatically Restart." Apply all the settings and close out of the windows.

    Once the error occurs, Windows will display a blue screen with the actual error. Write down the error and let us know so that we can further troubleshoot.
    Hello, All You Wonderful Fellows,

    Well, now my computer won't start at all. I probably killed it. I tried earlier removing the CD driver, as suggested. When I restarted it it ran for about 10 minutes, then went to the black screen again. It remained there in a cycle until I unplugged it. When I turned it on to try disabling the automatic restart, as suggested, it wouldn't start at all, although the keyboard and mouse had power. How I wish I could learn how to know enough about the insides of these things to at least not panic when I mess something up. I can't seem to stop tinkering with stuff. Sigh. But this board has the best people I've ever encountered. I thank you so much for your help with my recently departed computer.

    I'd already ordered a new computer and had wanted to give this one to my baby grandniece. Will the computer guy still be able to move my harddrive from this one to my new one? Say "Yes," please!

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Greataunty
    Hello, All You Wonderful Fellows,

    Well, now my computer won't start at all. I probably killed it. I tried earlier removing the CD driver, as suggested. When I restarted it it ran for about 10 minutes, then went to the black screen again. It remained there in a cycle until I unplugged it. When I turned it on to try disabling the automatic restart, as suggested, it wouldn't start at all, although the keyboard and mouse had power. How I wish I could learn how to know enough about the insides of these things to at least not panic when I mess something up. I can't seem to stop tinkering with stuff. Sigh. But this board has the best people I've ever encountered. I thank you so much for your help with my recently departed computer.

    I'd already ordered a new computer and had wanted to give this one to my baby grandniece. Will the computer guy still be able to move my harddrive from this one to my new one? Say "Yes," please!
    Good News, Fellows,

    I unplugged, then plugged in and restarted the computer and XP came up! I've disable Automatic Restart. What now? I LOVE trying out your suggestions. Thanks.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    11
    Here is the error message, no words except for general possibilities, only:
    0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0x7FD9774E,0xF9C6BB728, 0xF9C6B428)

    I hope that it makes sense to some of you youngsters. Thanks.

  12. #12
    Platinum+ Member z3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    621
    *


    Hello GreatAunty,

    Could you please state some of your computers stats.
    Like the chip speed, graphics card, RAM and H.D.D. (hard drive), and also how much disc space you have remaining on your H.D.D.?

    Also, (if you are running windows) do you have service packs or the latest windows updates ?

    I found this in regard to your error messages:

    # A Stop 0xA message might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.

    # A Stop 0xA message might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (video or disk adapters, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.


    Read more here: http://www.updatexp.com/stop-messages.html


    *


    And.. in answer to your question regarding your H.D.D.
    Yes it can be transfered over into your new computer, but if your platform (e.g.Windows) is on it, then the problems will come also.

    I would strongly recommend that you back up any valuable files immediatly.


    Just to make sure



    If it's just some files you want to put on your new computer, I would suggest
    you just "*hook" them up together and transfer the files from your old one to your new, then consider getting someone to **re-format the old one for your grand niece.
    You could reformat it yourself but remember it deletes everything off that Hard drive, and is not for novices.
    But considering you have a spanky new computer it could be a great opportunity to learn how to do it.
    I'm sure most of us here learnt what we know from tinkering with our old computers.
    If you do decide to get risky on your old computer try reading this site for starters.
    How to re-format




    *There are various way to do this-but they all require a network card in each computer.
    ** Re-format is completely deleting the entire operating system (e.g. Windows) and from the H.D.D. and ALL its files, and re-installing the operating system from scratch.

    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •