Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS-DOS 6.22/win311

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar

MS-DOS 6.22/win311

iv never setup ms-dos before or win 311, and need help setting up win311 so i can do a upgrade eventually to xp, but i need tyo start at lowset link in windows lol, since my notebook has no os, i have a flopy drive that loads everything it needs, i just need to know what do i add in the editing of config.sys, and auotexec.bat?

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

still in a bind here

im still stuck , been lookin al over the net seems that you need a cdrom to install msdos, or else it wont work, any ideas? can win2k be booted to install from a another computer?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    to make your hard drive bootable to msdos
    insert msdos bootable floppy

change directory to your floppy

type

sys c:

your boot files will be transfered to your hard drive

the hard drive will now be bootable

if your trying to install win 3,11 just insert the floppy and type setup
    ------------------------------------------------------------

okay iv tryed the syscommand, ill retry em thing is all the bootdisks from bootdisk.com have the banna cd rom driver, loading, and thier is no cd drive in the notebook,

Egghead gave you a good procedure. If you are having trouble with the ms-dos disk then try a win (prior to xp) recovery/emergency disk. Once the computer has booted from the recovery disk, use the same command - sys c:. Once the system files are copied to the hard drive, remove the floppy and reboot. It should boot from the HD. Put win3.11 disk 1 in the floppy drive and change to drive a:. Type setup and enter.

If you end up reformating the HD, use the command - format c: /s. This copies the command files to the HD at the conclusion of the format.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    thanks efc

one thing to add.

you cannot use partition over 2 gigs with windows 95 and below

if you are using fdisk you will need to say no to enabling the large disk access or windows 95 won't even install.

its ok for windows 98 and above....

Sounds like this could be your prob..
    ------------------------------------------------------------

i changed that in partition magic, the drive is fat16 2048 mbs, iv tryed getting win311 on floppy but it takes at least 6 just to get the files,

Egghead,
    I don't mean to contradict you (so please correct me if i am wrong) as WIN95 is a long distant memory but wasn't the problem with the 2gig partitions with the early FAT16 WIN95 & not the later FAT32 version? but I guess win 3.11 was FAT16 anyway but I don't know much about 3.11 at aal
    S_W if you are going to go up to XP why not just put in a C.D drive now and boot straight off it? Also I know this is only my opinion but I don't like upgrading operating systems I prefer a fresh install so that would solve this issue as well
    G
    Last edited by GraemeK; July 6th, 2004 at 14:43 PM.

well i would put a new one in only prob is its going to cost over $500 just for the drive, and well i can always covnert the drive to ntfs once it get the system to win 98, right now im trying to get something on thier so i can do a net install, personaly i dont, like upgrading either but at this point i only have 2 options,

Sorry to go on but could you not get a refurbished one we can get them in the UK for about £30 its just that are you going to be able to get drivers for older versions of Windows for your network card?
    G

yeah lol i found them on intels web site,

You can pick up an external drive for approx $40.

Don't forget to make sure that the notebook has minimum requirements for xp. I just inherited one for a family member that had been worked on twice and declared dead. The only thing wrong with it was that they had installed win xp on a machine with a 233 MHz processor and 96 MB or RAM. It couldn't even complete the boot process. I formatted and installed Win 98se on it. It is now working great. It will become a "first computer" for one of my grandchildren (two down and six to go).

I am looking for information about the keyboard. Can't figure out what all of the keys do. It is a Compaq Armada 1592. If someone has the book, I would appreciate it if you would scan the pages explaining the keyboard and sending them to me. Google has not helped me find a manual.

Yea EFC,
    I do the same when I build a new machine @ work I take the old one home for the kids- better than landfill. But I digress (is that spelt right)? can you set an external drive as a primary boot device?

no bios dont have the option, and efc the notebook is my old server lol. heres specs,

1.Pentuim 4 1.6 ghz
    2.768 mb ddr PC2100
    3.30 gb hd
    4.intel pro ve 10/100

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeK
    ...can you set an external drive as a primary boot device?
    I have never worked on this issue so I had to go Googling for the answer. The best answer found is here.

LINK