Thread: Email Tweaking

Thumbs up Email Tweaking

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tweaking your email, there is a tweak for everything else... so why not your email.
    This will slightly speed up your retrieving and sending of email.

First open Outlook Express and select tools - accounts, highlight your email account and select
    properties - select the server tab and write down what is in the two boxes for "incoming mail" (POP3)
    and outgoing mail (SMTP) i.e. mine is "pop.****.net" and "smtp.****.net". Now close all of that and
    select start run and type "cmd" (without the quotations) and hit enter, type - tracert
    (whatever was in your box for "incoming mail") i.e. for me - tracert pop.****.net. It will then say
    "Tracing route to ......" followed by a DNS number, it will look something like 68.54.2.13 - write that
    number down. Do the same for your "outgoing mail" and write the number down. Now open up your email
    properties again as you did before and in the boxes for "incoming mail" (POP3) and "outgoing mail"
    (SMTP) put in the DNS numbers you wrote down for each.

That's it, your done. This will keep your email from looking up the DNS number
    (because it already knows it) everytime you check or send mail thus speeding it up a bit.

Regards,
    jackpot

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Awesome tip Jackpot, I've less problems now connecting to my various mail servers!!!

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    now what if the mail servers change ip addresses if you forgot you did that tweak your SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    now what if the mail servers change ip addresses if you forgot you did that tweak your SOL.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Uhhh, prolly do the same proceedure again and add the
    new #'s... HAHA..! Maybe these DON'T change like a normal
    IP would or does...not sure, but it sure sped mine up for now..

Cheerzzz

I tried this and found that there was an actual slowdown in my situation (direcway satellite internet). This would make me recommend that you do a tracert for your present server address and then check it after the change.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

that is one of the big problems... I have my own domains and if the IP of my mail server changes I am SOL. Plus the speed increase would be minimal at best.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoKiller
    that is one of the big problems... I have my own domains and if the IP of my mail server changes I am SOL. Plus the speed increase would be minimal at best.
    Not minimal. It depends on the DNS server that you are using. Suppouse you are in a bussiness enviroment, you might have a couple of DNS that are only internat (W2K, W2K3 Domain Controllers), and the 3th would be the real life DNS. If you share that DNS with other Domains also has more traffic.
    So, basically, depending on the DNS server is the gain. For home users usually it won't be much difference if the DNS entry is well known, but in some other cases (small email company, or some users personal POP3) it would actually gain.