Thread: Isn't it funny what you can find in a EULA??

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Isn't it funny what you can find in a EULA??

I downloaded a boot screen from ThemeXP tonight and found this in the End User License Agreement:
    "You acknowledge that THEMEXP may have added third party software to the products and services, and that by installing such products and services you understand that this third party software may affect the way your computer performs. You agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any Content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such Content."

Needless to say I cancelled the install, which was an .EXE btw, and will carefully check anything else I get from them.

They write this stuff because they think no one reads the EULA (and actually hardly anyone does) but at the same time they want to stay on the safe side.

This is why everyone should carefully read the EULA unless the software is very famous and from a reputable company.

BTW, I don't practise what I'm preaching right here .

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Me neither
    But you can't even trust reputable companies. Look at the EULA of WMP
    I haven't visited ThemeXP for a long time since it is sooooooo sslllooooowwwwwwwww, but I guess now I won't go again.
    Thanks Rik for point it out.

Aye thanks for the heads up Rik -
    I NEVER read those things.
    I'm just gimme, gimme, gimme, the pretty pictures, ....then dang, I have an issue......doh !!

-un-install
    -Search and destroy
    -Schredder
    -Regedit

blah, blah, blah..... Oh I fixed it... Pheew.

Oh look at the pretty picture, gimme, gimme, gimme.

And so on..

I guess, subconsciously, I know I need to reformat so I don't really care that much and probably looking for an excuse.
    I love a fresh clean empty system, it's just re-installing the codecs, drivers and apps that's the killer...bleh..

Cheers again for the warning.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    ThemeXP sucks now. You won't be able to install any of their themes without installing additional crap programs on your machine. I'm never downloading anything from there again.

You can't really blame them either. They (freeware companies) need someway to earn a living. Basically, by accepting the EULA, you agree for that crap to be installed. So it's up to you whether you want to use it or no.

P.S. I'm not trying to defend the use of such malware.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Hmmmm.... what's the EULA for TZ?

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by petard
    Hmmmm.... what's the EULA for TZ?
    http://www.techzonez.com/privacy.htm

Quote Originally Posted by z3n
    I love a fresh clean empty system, it's just re-installing the codecs, drivers and apps that's the killer...bleh..
    Yeah, knowing that all garbage, viruses and spyware are gone together with all the other sucky problems that comes with installing unreliable software. I also don't usually read EULAs. And I am very used to just pressing NEXT> in an installer. I did it in Messenger PLUS! and accidentally installed a crappy adware program. I learnt from that since. They actually should compose a standard EULA which everyone would know and whatever additions, people read. So that we won't have to read all the tons of crap.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joshsiao
    Yeah, knowing that all garbage, viruses and spyware are gone together with all the other sucky problems that comes with installing unreliable software. I also don't usually read EULAs. And I am very used to just pressing NEXT> in an installer. I did it in Messenger PLUS! and accidentally installed a crappy adware program. I learnt from that since. They actually should compose a standard EULA which everyone would know and whatever additions, people read. So that we won't have to read all the tons of crap.
    I was just going to point out PLUS!
    I actually don't mind plus, because the EULA is separated, and it actually it says very clear "Yes, I accept and install the sponsor program" Also, since they are different EULA you can accept Messenger PLUS! EULA, but not the sponsor, so that way you don't install the sponsor, but you still get the program installed, and the developers of plus have a sponsor to keep development going. I think more freeware should learn from that example

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    It seems that you can still get some themes and stuff from them but the ones that are .EXE files you'll wanna read the EULA closely. They wanna install stuff like >NEW.NET< and some kinda search bar. All the spyware, adware, malware, crap really can put a crimp in the way your system operates.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Yeh, for some reason, some themes are EXE and some are ZIP. The EXEs have all the bundled spyware or other crap and the ZIPs usually just have the theme.

I don't like it one little bit!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    It seems that you can still get some themes and stuff from them but the ones that are .EXE files you'll wanna read the EULA closely. They wanna install stuff like >NEW.NET< and some kinda search bar. All the spyware, adware, malware, crap really can put a crimp in the way your system operates.
    I just found a copy of >new.net< adware app on my cousin's computer, didnt know where it came from as there weren't any toolbars etc... but then your post about themeXP hit the spot... he downloaded and installed several themes and pics etc...

Good old spybot and adware

We have to be more and more careful these days...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---