Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is more configurable, Mozilla or Firefox?

Which is more configurable, Mozilla or Firefox?

Please state features that one has over the other.

Thank you

IMHO, the most tweakable alternative browser is Avant.

Quote Originally Posted by hotmale
    IMHO, the most tweakable alternative browser is Avant.
    Why?

Thanks for replying

I am not quite sure what you mean by "more configurable". Mozilla is a full blown browser package. It contains a much more secure browsing environment than does IE. It contains the navigator, email client, composer for building web paces and an IRC chat client. There are excellent built-in security tools and a anti-spam package. There are numerous extensions available to give it even more capability. There are also themes available to change its appearance.

Firefox is a lean and agile browser. It does not contain the email client, composer or the IRC client. If you don't use any of these items, Firefox is the way to go. Firefox has even more extensions and themes available than does Mozilla.

Extensions and Themes
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I use firefox and like it alot

really is fast
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by egghead
    I use firefox and like it alot

really is fast
    I was using Firefox a lot until I tried out XP Service Pack 2 RC 2. IE just seems a whole lot faster in this release. I still have Firefox on standby though in case the IE exploits worsen. It's pretty secure though blocking all pop-ups, downloads and installs which require user confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    I was using Firefox a lot until I tried out XP Service Pack 2 RC 2. IE just seems a whole lot faster in this release. I still have Firefox on standby though in case the IE exploits worsen. It's pretty secure though blocking all pop-ups, downloads and installs which require user confirmation.
    I

downloaded the 'Silver 02' theme. It is not silver at all. It is beige. All the Firefox

themes are grey or beige. They make the AOL browser in a nice looking blue

chrome. Firefox should do the same. Thank you all for replying. Bump for more

info.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    You are really gonna have to try each one for yourself and find/use what you prefer. I have never used the full Mozilla package but like most others here, have used Firefox for quite awhile. Like EFC stated each browser has it's own advantages and issues. As far as "themeing", You can use a 3rd party app like Style XP or Window Blinds that will tweak the look of the browser you are using, so You aren't limited to just using the skins provided. There are also some IE clones that I like to use which add functionality that I like. Tabbed browsing and integrated pop-up blocking for example. I have used one in the past called Netcaptor, and another that I still use called SlimBrowser.

Hope this all helped and made some sense...

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    You are really gonna have to try each one for yourself and find/use what you prefer. I have never used the full Mozilla package but like most others here, have used Firefox for quite awhile. Like EFC stated each browser has it's own advantages and issues. As far as "themeing", You can use a 3rd party app like Style XP or Window Blinds that will tweak the look of the browser you are using, so You aren't limited to just using the skins provided. There are also some IE clones that I like to use which add functionality that I like. Tabbed browsing and integrated pop-up blocking for example. I have used one in the past called Netcaptor, and another that I still use called SlimBrowser.

Hope this all helped and made some sense...
    Thank

you for your input. I will try Style XP. I didn't know it had

Firefox skins. Have a nice weekend.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    It isn't that they have Firefox skins...it's just that the theme used normally takes over how the window appears, like in the attached pic. I have'nt done a Desktop screenshot in a while but I am now using StyleXP-Blade theme and you see how it skinned FF as well.

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    Why?

Thanks for replying
    Actually, the creator of Avant seems to have thought of each and every option that might cross someone's mind. Download it and see how many options can be tweaked.

But Avant is dependant on IE, so if you want a totally independent browser try something like FireFox or Mozilla.

Actually, the creator of Avant seems to have thought of each and every option that might cross someone's mind. Download it and see how many options can be tweaked.

But Avant is dependant on IE, so if you want a totally independent browser try something like FireFox or Mozilla.
    I looked at the skins for Avant. I liked

the ones on mozilla better. The best Avant skin is blue, which is what my

Internet Explorer is. I was going to check out 'My IE2'. Thanks

I was going to check out 'My IE2'.
    Please note that MyIE2 is no longer MyIE2. It's called Maxthon now.

Please note that MyIE2 is no longer MyIE2. It's called Maxthon now.
    Thank you. Did they make it better or did they just change the name?

Did they make it better or did they just change the name?
    Not sure. But they finally reached version 1 (no longer 0.xx versions) so it must have been improved I guess.