Thread: impossible! flushing arp cache

impossible! flushing arp cache

so i've searched exhaustively on many forums/knowledge bases and stuff but cant find the answer i want (except perhaps at expert exchange but it says "sign up to see solution" and it costs 10 bucks a monthly pop =[). i've seen other people with the same problem and with no answers as well. i messed with some windows services by using "services.msc" in run and switching some from automatic to manual. then my compy's internet pinged at 200 which was the suck. so i switched em back and it's down to about 100 but should be around 30. also, the problem i had since the service manualling is that in my network connections, i hit "repair" and it comes up with an error saying "blah blah operation failed: flushing arp cache. contact your isp guy". using arp -d and arp -a or netsh interface ip delete arpcache in command doenst solve it. one guy said he switched his services and it solved for him and also one guy told me IT WAS a service i siwthced but i switched and started em all back but still ping very high. anyone else has other advice and i would appreciate it GREATLY. seriously, i'm gettin grey hairs already and i'm 15!

-chung, thanks you

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Try disabling "Routing and Remote Access" in services and reboot.

Also run Network Diagnostics to see if it shows a problem. Go to Run and type in netsh diag gui and hit enter. After a few seconds the Help & Support window will open,then click "Scan your system". Let us know if any errors are listed.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

wow u solved it. thx man!

I have the same problem and nothing iv'e tried has worked yet. Ok, so here's what happened. I've been using a router and my sister wanted to change to a hub since the router blocks file tranfers through messenger. When we switched to the hub my internet connection got really slow. So we switched back to our old router and my internet was still messed up. My internet is still slow and I keep getting disconnected from MSN messenger. My download speed always fluctuates from 0 - 60 kbps. When i try to repair the local area connection status it says error in flushing the arp cache. i tried using arp -a, arp -d in the command promp and still nothing happened. I tried disabling the "routing and remote access" from services and the reapair went fine but my internet connection still gets cut off. I tried using netsh diag gui and here's the results:

Internet Service
    Default Outlook Express Mail Not Configured
    Default Outlook Express News Not Configured
    Internet Explorer Web Proxy Not Configured

Computer Information
    Computer System YOU-U35A06OIXC9
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600

Modems and Network Adapters
    Modems Communications cable between two computers
    Network Adapters [00000008] NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter FAILED
    Network Clients

Any sort of help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Angry

I keep getting invalid IPs when I type arp -g. I use arp -d to delete them but it just keeps making invalid IPs. What is wrong?

your normally suppose to start a new thread, but try repair the connection, if u haven't already
    Live long and prosper!

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Manoy, I don't understand why you took off the router. IF you put a hub, did you use a firewall?
    Well, file transfer thru NAT router does work. tomshardware has a guide how to enable. Now, I don't have Upnp enabled. nor I did the routing for those ports and I can still send files to my work (NAT to NAT) so I don't see a problem with that.
    If you see slow connections make sure you don't have any computer in the DMZ, that could be compromised (hacked)
    Install temporaly a firewall in all of your computers to see what is going on with your network. You might have a trojan or worm. At least like that you can pint point the source. If that still doesn't work, reset the router to factory defaults.
    I am tending right now to believe that your security was compromised when you went back to the hub, either from a hacking or virus-type.
    What router do you have?