Thread: Barebones

Linux Mint Debian Edition

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    That's a really good deal on what you get. All you need are a HDD, and a disk drive.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Wow that is a good deal for a workstation or regular pc.

Stupid is as stupid does

I spent 3 1/2 days trying to get this computer working. Nothing wrong with the computer, it was the loose nut between the keyboard and the chair causing the problem.

When the computer arrived, I installed a HD and video card and started to install xp. After 10 minutes the system froze. At this point could not access the HD or boot the computer. The error messages suggested the HD or the video as the problem. The only way to proceed was to write 0's to the drive and start again. This was a process that I ended up doing at least 6 times. I swapped drives and still had the problem. This led me to believe that the video card was the problem. So I ordered anothe card. The MB required a 1.5 volt card.

With the new card on the way, I decided to try one more time. This time I dissassembled the computer and began to rebuild it. When it came time to reinstall it, I find that it is set as a slave. Change the jumper and everything worked the way it should.

I had checked the jumpers on that drive twice before. Why I didn't catch it is anyone's guess. I am posting this for the benefit of others that can't figure something out. In my case I was caught in a loop. Kept doing the same thing over and over. The good thing about my personality is that I am too stuborn to quit.

I bought the same set up for a friend. I received everything in 2 days. The CPU had some slightly bent pins that had to be straightened out and the case had small damage while in shipping. Other than that all went well with the set up.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc
    I spent 3 1/2 days trying to get this computer working. Nothing wrong with the computer, it was the loose nut between the keyboard and the chair causing the problem.
    This nut drinks beers and falls off the chair from time to time
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by egghead

Aye C'apn...

Quote Originally Posted by egghead
    May have been the problem. I was sober the whole time.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    how did the final computer come together Efc... everything ok now?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thats at really a very low price. Nothing can beat that, except bent pins?
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    how did the final computer come together Efc... everything ok now?
    Really happy with it. After the fiasco with assembly, discussed in earlier post, the only problems have been with Service Pack 2. Can't blame the equipment for that.

I overclocked it to XP2800 speed. Higher speeds are probably possible with extra cooling. It was stable at 2800xp, however couldn't keep the temp below 50 deg C. It was just an experiment to see how fast it would run. Returned the speed to default since I am not a gamer and don't need the aditional cycles.

Noteworthy, is a comment on the case mod accomplished. This mod is to remove the side panels and store them in my closet. Three computers in this room, none of which have side panels. Just so everyone understands that this mod is not for cooling. I am simply too lazy and too impatient to remove the sides everytime I want access to the inside.