Thread: Revert from broken XP

Revert from broken XP

A while back i was trying to get rid of sasser for about the third time when i came up with the amazing idea to change the file extension of the worm. I changed it from exe to "die" and restarted my computer. Stupid mistake. Now when i switch it on i get so far as windows xp starting to load. Then getting to a blank screen with a cursor on the middle.

The only way i can see round this is to format the disk and start a fresh. I've been wanting to go back to windows 98 for a while so this would be a good oppertunity. Anyway my problem is that no boot disks load when i switch my PC on. I've tried a few but it just reads the disk then carries on trying to load windows.

Do you have any advice? I miss my comp ;(

Quote Originally Posted by Porrana
    A while back i was trying to get rid of sasser for about the third time when i came up with the amazing idea to change the file extension of the worm. I changed it from exe to "die" and restarted my computer. Stupid mistake. Now when i switch it on i get so far as windows xp starting to load. Then getting to a blank screen with a cursor on the middle.

The only way i can see round this is to format the disk and start a fresh. I've been wanting to go back to windows 98 for a while so this would be a good oppertunity. Anyway my problem is that no boot disks load when i switch my PC on. I've tried a few but it just reads the disk then carries on trying to load windows.

Do you have any advice? I miss my comp ;(
    Have you tried repairing Windows first? If not there's a link in this post for windows repair...
    http://www.techzonez.com/forums/show...windows+repair
    Live long and prosper!