Thread: XP Home Problems

XP Home Problems

Downloaded the latest hotfixes from Microsoft. Then I could not access either Hotmail or MS Update site. (now resolved tho still don't know cause).
    Tried Belarc Advisor. Opened first time but now won't open in browser.
    Went into file options and tried to associate html files with IE. (as advised on Belarc site) here's the problem. Internet Explorer is not on list of installed programms and when I browse to folder it won't allow me to force the association. Second problem(tho minor) is that on most of the intalled progs the labels on the menu bar remain highlighted as they do when you mouseover. This is annoying and I don't know if it means something is corrupted. Anti-virus says machine is clean and I also run Sygate firewall. Any suggestions please?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Try running a System Restore to the day (or a time) prior to the updates. Then if all works fine, try the updates one at a time, checking between updates to ensure things are still working, until you either discover which update caused the problem or you get them all installed and everything works right.

Keep us updated on your progress.

The same thing happened to me, early this week. I was able to recover by uninstalling the sp2 updates and then running a registry cleaner.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Thanks for your suggestions. I can access hotmail and win update after spending over 1 hour on phone to Microsoft support. They were puzzled as to cause but it seems fixed. New problem though! After going into My Computer/ Folder Options... I have discovered that both .htm and .html extensions have been renamed as .HDT and HDTL respectivley. Do I have a rogue browser installed or has Internet Explorer been highjacked?
    Are you aware of what may be causing the labels accross menu bars of installed progs to remain highlighted in white? A minor, but irritating feature.
    Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Try running a System Restore to the day (or a time) prior to the updates. Then if all works fine, try the updates one at a time, checking between updates to ensure things are still working, until you either discover which update caused the problem or you get them all installed and everything works right.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    The same thing happened to me, early this week. I was able to recover by uninstalling the sp2 updates and then running a registry cleaner.
    Hi and thanks for reply. Did you re-install the SP2 updates and if so any further problems?
    Thanks