Thread: Software installer weirdness

Question Software installer weirdness

I am a novice XP user, so please excuse my ignorance if this is a simple fix.

I had previously installed a business software demo and didn't like it, so I uninstalled it. But when I try to install any new software, the installer for the "uninstalled" program starts and try to do its thing. I hit "Cancel" and the progress bar moves backward and tries to install again. I can only stop the "loop" with Task Manager. In the meantime, the program I wanted to install doesn't work because of this.

I have no clue as to what is happening. Any ideas?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Welcome aboard...I would del the dir where it tries to install. empty your windows\temp dir and run a prog called regclean. you can get it here

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Also delete the contents of the Temp folder located here:

C: Documents and Settings/"user name"/Local Settings/Temp

First, I can't find any "local settings" folder. It doesn't show up in my user folder. Is it a hidden folder normally?

I can't delete the dir it is installing to because it doesn't get that far. It can't find a file it needs to finish installation because it was deleted with the uninstall. It is looking for the file it needs in "user"/local settings/ which is the folder I can't find either.

In the meantime, I created a new user and logged in through that account which took care of the problem in a round about way.

I tried to delete the file in the Windows temp folder but couldn't because it is in use. No other programs running except Windows.

Definitely a steep learning curve for me with troubleshooting Windows because I am a looooong time Mac user.

Yes it is a hidden file so you will have to enable "show hidden files and folders" by opening My Computer and selecting "tools" tab located at the top. Then "Folder Options/ View" and then enable the hidden files item.
    I would run a Regcleaner to remove any files associated with this program.
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules