Thread: I have to use the restore CD to boot-up everyday

I have to use the Windows restore CD to boot-up everyday

I get the error message:

-----------------------------------------------------
    PARSER MESSAGE
    -----------------------------------------------------
    RCINT failure. String table ID not found. "50" at line 92.
    ------------------------------------------------------

Before this I installed an older version of Style XP, some themes and some Logon screens.

I tried to repair with the Windows XP restore CD, but it would not take my password. After that I clicked repair. It may have installed XP, but I had to do this again the next day.

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by veronica; July 14th, 2004 at 03:55 AM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Boot into safe mode (press F8) on boot. Then run system restore from there.

And don't install StyleXp.. try using WindowBlinds instead if you want to avoid this error.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    Boot into safe mode (press F8) on boot. Then run system restore from there.

And don't install StyleXp.. try using WindowBlinds instead if you want to avoid this error.
    Thank you very much. It is working today. I uninstalled STYLE XP just before this.
    Last edited by veronica; July 15th, 2004 at 06:51 AM. Reason: I got this board mixed up with another board.

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    Thank you very much. It is working today. I uninstalled STYLE XP just before this.
    Not to forget!, there is a replacement dll from the makers of style xp for the current xp themes dll "uxtheme.dll". It means theres no need for any extra files/exe's/services to be installed.

If you want to use it you may however need some documentation on how to install the dll, although the basic idea is to reboot your pc hit F8 to get to the boot xp menu and boot to safe mode, after that all you need is to copy the file to both the "\system32\" directory & "\system32\dllcache" and replace both existing files, reboot and then your able to choose your style xp themes as if they we're normal xp styles.

Only trouble now is this means manual installation but then all that does it unzip your themes to the folder... "<windows dir>\resources\themes"

And one more thing!, if you do decide to use the replacement dll make sure you create a copy in the root of "c:\", just means it's easier to get to when in safe mode.
    Live long and prosper!