Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer restarts! Can't do anything! Help needed!

Question Computer restarts! Can't do anything! Help needed!

Hi everyone,
    I have a problem with my computer and I can't fix it. I was thinking if any of you guys can help me. I will describe my problem as best as I can. When I turn on my computer, it shows me a black screen. It says "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start sucessfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." There are two more messages saying if this happened, choose this. if that happened, choose that. At the bottom, I can choose: Safe Mode, Safe Mode With Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normally. I have tried all of them, but my computer still restarts. So I can't get to Windows to do anything. If I chooose "Start Windows Normally", it will show "Windows Xp Professional" with a loading bar. Seconds after this, a blue screen appears suddenly, then it's gone in a flash and my computer restarts. I didn't add any hardware in my computer. But lately I have been having a problem with my CD-RW drive. It won't read. When I put in a CD, it will think that there isn't anything in the drive. Please tell me what to do! I'm stuck!
    Lian

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    First boot into your BIOS, and select the option to load BIOS defaults. Reboot. Did that solve it? If not continue on.

Unplug the CDRW drive. Try rebooting. Did that fix your problem? Check your Ram? If you have two sticks, try taking one out, rebooting and see if that solves your problem, if not try the other.

Also check all cables, cards, and connectors. Make sure they are firmly seated and are working correctly.

You could try to repair the current installation, by popping your XP Cd in, booting to the CD and choosing the repair option. If that doesn't work, go on to the next suggestion.

You could always just put the windows CD in the drive, and try reinstalling over the existing installation. Just run through the windows setup and instead of formatting, leave the current file system intact and reinstall windows. That should correct any software issue that might be causing this.

hi Big Booger
    thx for your help, I'll go and try what you told me to. Please stay online for a while.

I've made the BIOS to default. and I've tried with my CDRW drive unplugged. I even unplugged my other DVD drive, but i still have the problem. But when i did it with the drives unplugged, the blue screen came on later than when i had the drives plugged. I don't have the windows CD with me. I'll try to find another one. and thank you for your help! Please inform me if you have other suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian
    Hi everyone,
    I have a problem with my computer and I can't fix it. I was thinking if any of you guys can help me. I will describe my problem as best as I can. When I turn on my computer, it shows me a black screen. It says "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start sucessfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." There are two more messages saying if this happened, choose this. if that happened, choose that. At the bottom, I can choose: Safe Mode, Safe Mode With Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normally. I have tried all of them, but my computer still restarts. So I can't get to Windows to do anything. If I chooose "Start Windows Normally", it will show "Windows Xp Professional" with a loading bar. Seconds after this, a blue screen appears suddenly, then it's gone in a flash and my computer restarts. I didn't add any hardware in my computer. But lately I have been having a problem with my CD-RW drive. It won't read. When I put in a CD, it will think that there isn't anything in the drive. Please tell me what to do! I'm stuck!
    Lian
    Coincidentally, I too am having the same problem. I turn on, it shows me that same black screen. I have tried Safe Mode and it works. But if I try booting normally, I just see a the boot screen then a black screen. I have had no problems with my Hardware and I have not added anything. According to my diagnostics, my ram is fine. So I am stuck without a computer. I am typing this from an old P3 that I borrowed from my school.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

What kind of graphic card do you have? It could be a graphic card failure, driver issue, or something of that nature.

Check that the fans on the CPU and on the video card are working properly. Also try removing the ram and reinstalling it.

If you could get to the info on that blue screen it would help tremendously in getting an answer to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    What kind of graphic card do you have? It could be a graphic card failure, driver issue, or something of that nature.

Check that the fans on the CPU and on the video card are working properly. Also try removing the ram and reinstalling it.

If you could get to the info on that blue screen it would help tremendously in getting an answer to you.
    Mine's a 9800 PRO. I don't think its a graphics card failure, if not the computer can't even go into safe mode.The fans are working properly. I tried a system restore in safe mode but its still the same problem.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Ah ha. It wasn't a graphics card failure after all, but a driver failure! In safe mode, I uninstalled the driver and rebooted. This time it booted normally. I think is must be an issue with the Catalyst 4.7 driver. And I mean the one from ATI NOT Omega's. Should I reinstall Catalyst 4.7 or revert to Catalyst 4.6 instead?
    ~Chesterfield

I'd try the 4.7 only after you have used the driver cleaner to get rid of any traces of a previous driver.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Lian have you installed style xp or any other theme modding software. I have seen this in the past after installing it it copies over a system file and causes it to crash This happened with the old style xp then installing sp1.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Also Lian when you do find the XP cd,you can try typing "sfc /scannow" from the run command,to restore protected system files that may have been overwritten.I would try this before installing windows on top of what you have.You may want to turn off your built in LAN adapter if you have one.Sometimes an active setting in bios may cause an error that has a hardware change symptom.Update all usb device drivers that you have.And welcome to Techzonez.Let us know what you find.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I don't have style xp installed in my computer. I've never even heard of it before. I think my graphics card is called Xabre. I don't think that's causing the problem.
    By the way, zipp51, when you said i can try typing "sfc /scannow", is there a space between "sfc" and "/scannow"? When I get a XP CD, I'll try to fix my problem. And Thank you all for you help. I needed it.
    Lian

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    you should type SFC /SCANNOW from the run box. yes there is a space between c and /...let us know how it turns out.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joshsiao
    Ah ha. It wasn't a graphics card failure after all, but a driver failure! In safe mode, I uninstalled the driver and rebooted. This time it booted normally. I think is must be an issue with the Catalyst 4.7 driver. And I mean the one from ATI NOT Omega's. Should I reinstall Catalyst 4.7 or revert to Catalyst 4.6 instead?
    Omega hasn't released his drivers based on 4.7 Catalyst yet. I'm using ATI 4.7 with no problems.

well, guys
    I had to reinstall windows xp. and it was my hard disk's problem. it had some 'unrecoverable problems'. so i lost everything in one of my hard disks. now i have to start all over. but, thx for your help guys!
    Lian