Thread: XP & Win2K Sharing Problem

XP & Win2K Sharing Problem

I recently connected to a LAN which was having 5 systems. On all the 5 systems, Win2K Professional had been installed. I am using Win XP on my laptop.

I changed my workgroup according to that of the LAN and also changed my TCP/IP settings as DHCP had been enabled on the LAN. I was able to connect to the internet without any problem and was able to access information.

But I was not able to access any of the shared folders on the local network. When I went to "My Network Places" and clicked on "View workgroup computers", a popup message opens up saying "Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

I even tried running "nslookup" from the command line but it was not responding giving a reply "DNS request timed out."

The administrator said that since I am using Win XP, hence there is some incompatibility problem which I think is nonsense. If this was the case, how was I able to access the net.

Could someone please help me out with this problem?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Have you tried configuring the NIC properties to select 'Auto' for the link and Duplex speed?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    might be silly but I was having similar issues and I ran the network setup wizard and rebooted now my xp can see and share all files that are shared on the win2k pcs. I also made my username on each of the win2k pcs.

See Post:

Workgroup Inaccessible: Why?
    smartin22

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    in a workgroup there is no server managing the username, but rather each workstation act as host/server. IF you want to connect to a workstation you need to have your username/password credential already in that workstation. If not a dialog box will appear asking to enter username and password. You don't necesarily need to be in the same workgroup. I have 2 computers at home, both in different workgroups.
    Windows XP is funny about workgroups. I don't really know the answer (thought it probably is somewhere in TechNet) but XP won't let you connect right away to workgroups. After a couple of days it works. I usually spend so mught time trying to connect that it finally connects by itself. This was the first thing I didn't like of XP and still don't like. It even has this funny behaviour in Domains some times.